Thursday 8 February 2024

Crete - Sitia, lazy day.

When traveling with Mum and Dad we got into a pattern of one day driving/exploring and the next staying put and relaxing. We are leaning towards that now as I don't want to drive everyday (stick shift, windy roads - fun for some but also tiring). Rick is quite happy to go for a walk and explore on his own on the days we don't go anywhere. So after our long day in Agios Nikolaos, we stayed home.

I joined Rick on his walk into town.



I think this is an Avocado.

I just walked to the bottom of the hill and then turned back while Rick continued on for his urban hike.

I took it easy, stopping to take pictures, smell olive wood prunings burning,

observing old stone walls

and new ones

and listening to the birds. Hooded crow.



I think these are the Pine Processional Caterpillars that I saw in Cyprus. They can burn you if you touch them and are very dangerous to dogs.

Back to the house. This is looking up, the window on the right is the kitchen, left is the living/dining room, little window upstairs is the bathroom (shower, sink, toilet and washing machine). The 2 bedrooms open up on to the balcony.

The patio is covered with a shade, darkening the door and the other living room window. I am sure in the summer time it provides a welcome cool area.

Just off the patio, down a little path, I noticed a hammock.

So I set it up with cushions, a book, a sketch pad.

Looking from the hammock to the patio. The weather has been amazing, mostly sunny, warm (16 to 20 degrees) but often windy.

It was the cool breeze that drove me out of the hammock, after some reading and some sketching, and in to the sun on the patio.

This guy is regularly hunting the valley in front of the house

I think he is a Common Kestrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment