Saturday 14 February 2015

Ceret - second market day, first rain.

Mum and I went to our usual boulangerie this morning and discovered that they are on holiday and it is closed for 10 days. We went to the one we consider the second best but this will push us to try the others in town, although we know one is closed for renovations. Mind you there is really nothing wrong with any of the croissant that can be obtained here, its a matter of degree of flakiness and butteryness.
We again assigned the cheese search to Dad and Mum and I covered fruit and vegetables. We are short of bowls in the apartment so I was also looking for some bowls that I may then take with me as a souvenir.
The streets are closed to traffic from 7am to 2pm for the market and its nice to
be able to walk and not worry about the vehicles on these narrow and often
one way streets.
We noticed some stalls that hadn't been there last week and missed some that had.
As you can see most people are still in winter coats but there are fewer scarves and
hats in evidence this week as it is getting milder.
This stall had some beautiful bowls with what I think is called Raku glazing but
they were a bit expensive so I admired but moved on.
I bought my 4 bowls here in a stall full of what I think of
as Mediterranean colours. I'd love to be able to take it all home;
salad bowls, spoon holders, different sizes of bowls and plates,
oil and vinegar servers and pitchers. My suitcase would be ladened
down, and everything breakable.
Dad searched last week and didn't find the olive stall but it was there today with about 14
different olive possibilities. Dad picked up a small container of black and a small container
of green. They have something else in them, we're not sure what, but both kinds are delicious
(added to our ever expanding lunch buffet).
On a restaurant table. We missed the truffle walk that was held the week before
we got here. That is something I would like to have experienced.
The florist stalls where bursting with flowers today as it is Valentines
Day. Red roses were prominent. I bought some pansies and planted them
in the garden as I thought we would be here long enough to enjoy them.
The scaffolding is all gone and the painters just have some minor details
to finish the building off. It was a huge job and luckily the town helps
out a little with a grant. The bottom 2 floors are ours and we park the car
through the green gates to the side.
7 Place de la Republique, our front door, crisp and clean with its new paint.
This afternoon Mum and I planned to sit at the Café Pablo and sketch but we just got started and it began to rain. We have had a few snow flakes and a bit of sleet but this was the first real rain we have had in the 14 days we've been here. So we had to sit under the awnings at Le Pablo and drink our glass of wine while Anthonie (the waiter) scurried to put all the tables and chairs away that had been out for the market (and full earlier).

No comments:

Post a Comment