Thursday 8 November 2018

New Orleans Road Trip - Day 1



My practice selfie
Oh My God, we are really not good at this!
  Should actually be titled "Not an auspicious start".
1) Aimee forgot which day we were leaving and they weren't at home when I got there at 9am. They were picking up their trailer from having it repaired. When they got there we hurriedly packed, I got hitched up and Aimee did a quick clean of the house (its for sale and has to look nice).
2) We set off at about 11am but I didn't even get out of the driveway because, even though the back hatch was closed the sensor said it wasn't and had a flashing light and beeping going on my dash. We messed with it for a while, couldn't fix it and drove out anyway.
3) Going up the 403, I adjusted my wing mirror and it pushed the extended wing mirror off and I pulled over with the window down and hanging on to the mirror. Aimee and Greg stopped and Aimee and I reset the mirror.

I could handle the flashing light but the beeping was going to drive me crazy. Pulled over at a rest stop and pushed some more buttons and it finally stopped.

I couldn't believe the truck traffic between Woodstock and London. We were surrounded and they "suck you in and spit you out", constantly effecting the trailers. It was better once onto the 402 and we crossed the border at Sarnia with no difficulty. Stopped at the first interchange and gased up and got groceries. I can watch the gas gauge dropping!
Driving through Michigan went well although the fact that they don't clear roadkill makes for some gruesome sights. We managed to hit the outskirts of Detroit at rush hour and my GPS constantly wanted to go a different way than Aimee and Gregs but I was following them anyway.

We were heading for Fort Wayne, Indiana, to get south of the snow that was forecast. Our original plan had been for a 4 hour drive but the weather changed that. It was dark by the time we got into Fort Wayne and Aimee and Greg's GPS took us down a dead end street. Aimee had to back the trailer out of it. The asked if I just wanted to park at the Walmart we had seen but my GPS had a different route showing so they followed me and we found the KOA.

4) No-one in the office so you find a site and leave a payment. I found a site, plugged in, wound down the legs and turned on the propane and furnace. The smoke alarm went off. I turned it all off and then on again and the smoke alarm went off. Not a happy camper! Turned it all off again. Went to pay and realized that there was a note there for someone who must have made a reservation and it indicated they were to set up in the site I had set up in. DAMN. Aimee helped me crank everything back up again, get un hooked and set up on another site. She also lent me an electric heater. Very welcome as the temperature is hovering just above freezing.

Wine, cheese and crackers made everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment