Thursday 13 October 2022

Yorkshire Dales - arrival

The Air Transat flight left a little early, I got about 4.5hrs sleep and landed to drizzle (surprise, surprise) in Manchester. While waiting at the carousel for my luggage I saw Heather and Don waiting for theirs at the next one (their plane had been late and mine early) so we were able to got together over to the rental car village.  Enterprise was a bit messy and tried 3 different cars before they found one that was manual and had a working GPS (called a Sat. Nav here.). Don drove (I didn't think I had had enough sleep to focus on driving). Up the M6 and everything was fine, then on to an A road into the Dales. Don enjoyed the narrow roads, hairpin bends, single lane bridges and moving over for oncoming cars. He later confessed to being terrified but riding high on the adrenaline. I navigated and willed the car to be narrower and Don to drive slower (but kept the latter to myself).

We arrived at our accommodation for the next 4 nights, The Arches, at around dusk.


In the village of Muker.

We had not seen a grocery store so headed straight to the pub

Andy, the owner/bartender.waiter, was really chatty and welcoming.


The menu was extensive

the beers and wine very welcome and the meals were delicious. Heather and Don even shared a jam rolly polly with custard for dessert.

 

We were all in bed by 8:30 (1:30am my time) tired out.

No comments:

Post a Comment