Thursday 3 March 2016

Spain 2016 - Marismas Castro Marim

First job was to pop over to "Punta" for some groceries. I realized as soon as I had gone downstairs that I had forgotten my camera and, when on holiday, I carry it all the time. There was a stork in the marsh, but I have pictures of storks. An egret on the way back, no big deal. But, Murphy's Law, there was a Hoopoe in the garden of our apartment complex! I rushed upstairs, dropped the groceries, grabbed my camera and went back down not really believing that he would still be there.
But he was. His colouring reminds me of a court jester.
Digging in the ground he looks like his head is a pick axe. A car drove by and scared him and he expanded his crest into a beautiful fan but I didn't get the camera on him fast enough to capture it.
I have seen lots of these birds here but they are always flying away. I have periodically gone on a "Hoopoe Hunt" which is really just an excuse to go for a walk along the beach path. I took 39 photos of this guy hoping for some "blog worthy" ones.
So, in 2 days 2 of my bird picture goals are complete (Spoonbill, Hoopoe). After lunch we drove across the bridge (country hopping is just too easy) and found our way to the nature reserve near Castro Marim. The building itself was closed but Dad birdwatched from the parking lot and Mum and I walked the loop that was described as "Interpretive".
Looking him up on the internet I think he is a European Hare. Although they are not supposed to be this far south it says they are an adaptable and invasive species. We saw at least 3 of them.
Spotted Redshank. Sorry, but I was with Mum and she was in birding mode.
Looking across the marshes and salt flats to Castro Marim's castles.
Across the Guadiana River to Ayamonte.
Up river to the bridge.
The area we were walking in had been inhabited, there was a house, well etc so we are not sure if the flowers we were seeing were native or some that had been planted and gone wild.
Tiny little Iris. A couple of centimeters across and only about 4cm off the ground.

Mum identified these as Mombretia and said that they grow wild in England.
The loop had taken us around this small hill, up to the top and back down to the parking lot. All of the information boards were too faded from the sun to read, but, it had been a pleasant walk, with nice views and a few birds.
Mistle Thrush under a picnic table.
Dad had some good birding just sitting in the car with his binoculars, various warblers. We drove down the rather rough, dirt, road for a while and there were birds everywhere. It was the best birding spot we had found yet. The last of my bird photo goals was the Azure Winged Magpie. Regular Magpies are everywhere but, although I have seen a few of the Azure winged ones, like the Hoopoe, they were always flying away. Well there was a flock of them here:

They weren't as cooperative as the Hoopoe, didn't stay in one place for long.

Another beautiful bird though.
Driving out, just a couple more bird pictures. OMG I will have to go through birding "detox" when I get home. Hope there is a cure.
A Bar-Tailed Godwit

A Black-winged Stilt

OK, I will try not to do any bird pictures tomorrow but that could be difficult as I will be at El Rocio again and Mum and Dad are going further into Donona.

1 comment:

  1. Oooo, the Hoopoe is super cool though. (See if it was just the occasional super cool bird than sure - but it gets diluted...)

    ReplyDelete