Sunday 13 March 2016

Spain 2016 - "Punta" on a peaceful Sunday morning.

We have taken to referring to Punta del Moral simply as "Punta", less of a mouthful. Mum and I went over to the grocery store and I decided to stay for a little wander around as I like the village. It is very laid back at the best of times, but even more so on a Sunday morning. Guys were out working on their fishing boats, untangling nets, washing things down but with no sense of urgency. Women were washing their patios; I had to dodge a couple of brooms full of water being swept into the street (smiles and apologies followed). Laundry is always out; on terraces, roof tops and outside windows.
Shells used as ashtrays on a patio table. There is a lot of smoking here but at least not in restaurants anymore.
You can tell my focus was on the horse, lopped off the top of the riders head.

Fishing boats anchored, most don't go out on the weekend.

As I neared the church I could hear the sermon being given. I thought that the padre must be using a microphone but through the open church door I could see him walking around, passing the collection plate and laughing with the congregation. Just good oratory skills and a small stone building to amplify the sound.

This is the 3rd little shrine I have found here. St Antonio de Padua, patron of Punta del Moral since 1951 according to the sign on the shrine.

Many of the houses are single story with a walled patio in front or a terrace on the roof.
This one has lovely hand painted tiles over the door.

Even though opening directly onto the street, this home had pots of flowers along the sidewalk and hanging from the walls and windows.

Even the dogs behaved differently on a Sunday. I have walked here enough to know where I am likely to get barked at but even in those homes the dogs were snoozing on the patios or strolling the streets without paying any attention to me. This one is not a yapper, he's a snoozer, not a puppy, as I first thought, the grey around his muzzle gives him away.
After lunch we drove up to Sanlucar de Guadiana to show Joan the higher countryside and the little town on the river across from Portugal. We had coffee at our usual place, by the port, and were able to sit outside in the sun this time. Then Mum and I walked up to sketch the windmills.
White mule watching us walk out of the village.
I found some stairs and took that shortcut up the hill while Mum walked up the road. It afforded me some nice views of the towns and the river.
The choices were steep wooden stairs or a rough path but this part smelled beautifully of pine.

Far less intricate than the churches we have been sketching.
The cistus have been in bloom the whole time we have been here and most of the trees are now leafing up too.
On the way home, the herd of goats was out on Isla Canela, with
their watchful shepherd (somehow "goatherd" doesn't sound as good although I know it is the correct term. It reminds me too much of the song from Sound of Music) and his 3 dogs (at least one is a border collie).

No comments:

Post a Comment