Wednesday 30 March 2016

Spain 2016 - Seville, first evening.

It was a pretty laid back morning: packing and a short walk to Punta, then lunch. Mum and Dad took me to the train station in La Palma del Condado by about 2:30. I bought my ticket and sat in the sun until the train came at 3:30. The train peaks at about 140km/hr and was in to Santa Justa Estacion by 4:30. I was pretty sure I knew where the hotel was but because I was lugging my suitcase I opted for a taxi (why not make life easier when I can). The fun began when I got to the reception at the hotel and they couldn't find my reservation. Now if we were dealing in English I would have got into the discussion and maybe got worried, but, as the 2 people on reception were conversing in Spanish I just stood there with me piece of paper with the reservation number (through budgetplaces.com) and waited it out. They eventually found it in the FAX machine.
I just dumped my luggage and headed back out to do a quick reconnoiter.
Right next door, a little mini mart. That will come in useful for lunch type stuff as my hope is to grab coffee and breakfast and eat out supper but just picnic for lunch.
Because I was here with Nicola about a month ago I had a general idea of where I was in relation to the Cathedral which is really the only landmark you need. I didn't even pull out the map, just wandered and smiled (inwardly) at the number of tourists, maps spread out, at intersections, trying vainly to figure out where they were.

A couple of blocks from the hotel I walked into Jardines Cataline de la Ribera. Wonderful Wisteria in full bloom. The gardens were full of families and couples just enjoying the location and the weather (25 degrees in Seville today!)
Some huge trees. This public garden is right beside the gardens of the Alcazar that Nicola and I walked through.
From there I wandered into Barrio Santa Cruz which is the old Jewish neighborhood behind the Cathedral.
Narrow streets bordering on the Alcazar.
Little shaded squares
On the top of a gazebo in the middle of a square.

High up on a wall.
Lots of bars and restaurants and tourist shops (I want to bring all those wonderful colours home, luckily there's no room in  my suitcase.)
Then suddenly I am in the crowded area behind the Cathedral. More people than when Nicola and I were here, mostly young people and families with young children. Lots of Brits.
The Giraldi Tower. Hopefully I will climb it tomorrow or the day after.
I wanted to make sure I knew my way home before stopping for supper so ate about a block away from the hotel. I was going to eat inside as the outside tables were right next to a busy street but it was so warm that I wanted to be outside. It actually made for great people watching and there was a sidewalk, another set of tables and a double bike lane between me and the cars and buses.
This Russian salad tapas had crab meat and a swirl of mayonnaise on the top.
I wasn't sure what I would get when I ordered the eggplant tapas but this was cut thinly, deep fried and then rolled in cinnamon sugar and drizzled with caramelized honey. I ordered a second one for dessert, "uno mas por favor".
and next door the laundromat will clean your flamenco or processional clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment