Tuesday 8 March 2016

Spain 2016 - walking back from Barriada Canela

It was an "at home" day so this morning we did laundry and walked to El Jamon in Punta for white wine (Mum's favorite wine can only be bought at El Jamon), tomatoes, baguette, coffee (the essentials). After lunch we drove to the small community that is just over the bridge from Ayamonte, Barriada Canela, to sketch the church there.
The benches in the front meant that we would be trying to sketch it, looking into the sun.
So we sat on the curb and sketched. Not the most comfortable position. Mum commented that my sketch looked like a face and then we realized that the church front itself looked like a face.


The church (or hermitage actually) looks as if it was cut in half. There is evidence of foundation walls on either side of it but no information, other than its name, on the facade.
Mum and Dad drove off to birdwatch and I walked home.
Last time I walked this, after taking the bike back, I walked along the road. This time I took a sand track (more difficult walking) at the edge of the marsh. It was warm and quiet, just scared up some plovers and egrets from the marsh.
When I got back onto the road I passed the crew trimming trees. Since we got here there has been lots of spring landscaping done; cutting grass, weed killing sidewalks, pruning hedges and trimming up the palm trees.

The palm tree in front of our terrace. "Before" picture.
And the "after" picture. After the guy on the "cherry picker" went at it with a chainsaw.
The palm fronds have quite a thick base and I could see why a chainsaw was needed.
Magpies are "a dime a dozen" here, as they are in Western Canada, but for someone from Ontario they are still a stunning bird.
Bird on a wire. Ring-necked Dove
When I got to the beach walkway section I stopped at El Cabra (The goat) and had a glass of wine to keep me going. The wind had changed direction and for the first time since we got here it was actually coming off the Atlantic Ocean. That would mean that the terrace at the apartment wouldn't be windy. When I got back I found Mum and Dad sitting in the sun on the terrace. I bought them both a drink. Which resulted in the quote of the day; Mum "Look there are 2 red fishing boats in at the wharf. Wait. No, that's the Gin talking. There's just one".

No comments:

Post a Comment