Tuesday 5 March 2019

Madeira - Day 31 - A rainy end to Carnival

As was forecast, it drizzled most of the day today. I relaxed; read, did some weaving, played games on the tablet and

tried my hand at painting something other than plants.
I took a blank page from my sketchbook and in front of the window held it over the sketch I had done of the fortress and lightly traced the sketch. I then used the original sketch and the photo (on the netbook) as resources to paint the fortress.

Some parts I am happy with, some I need to improve.

Now this guy is talented. He was painting in situ when I walked by yesterday.
Scattered around town
are "I love Funchal" painted benches
that I have taken pictures of whenever I have noticed them.

Today at 4pm was the last parade of Carnival. Called "the slapstick parade" it is held on Shrove Tuesday and participation is open to anyone. Informal groups tend to dress up and dance down the parade route with little or no rehearsal. Groups also use it as a time to make political statements or make fun of people or issues. I was of two minds as to whether I was going to attend another parade but the weather made the decision for me. It was actually pouring in the late afternoon. I felt badly for those who had prepared and suspect that it still went on spite of the wind and rain advisory.

No comments:

Post a Comment