Thursday 28 March 2019

Madeira - Day 52 cont - English Church

It's bucketing rain outside, been threatening all day, and its Day 54 and I am still posting about Day 52 ..... time to get caught up.

After my Sopa Verde lunch I walked across the street to the gardens of Quinta das Cruzes (the museum wasn't open, I may not get to see this one) just enjoying the peace and flowers.
I posted about this tree before. Those fruit, that look like avocados, aren't.
The fruit falls and breaks open

revealing what looks like a white fluffy brain
full of seeds. I tried to "google" it but "white fluffy seed pods" just got me Cottonwood Poplars and I know all about those. Heather informs me that this is a Silk Floss tree, native to South America. Thanks to my intrepid reader.

I wandered in the "archaeological garden" again but couldn't find a place to sit and sketch so I headed down the hill along a different street.

I had seen this temple like building form above and when I got to it
found it was the English Church. The guidebook describes it as a "neoclassical building (1822)" and when I got home I realized that I hadn't taken a picture of the outside. It was a square building with a dome and columns across the front porch. Didn't look like a church at all.
Quite a concert schedule.
Inside, a brochure, spoke of a small congregation of resident expats and that it increases with the English down for long stay holidays.

Inside it was circular,
below the dome.
Outside there was a cemetery and a garden that looked like a bowling green. How did they find that flat space?
The stations of the cross were blue and white tile,

scattered around the church and its grounds.

On the way home .... I love that mail is delivered by scooter or ATV.

No comments:

Post a Comment