Wednesday 6 March 2019

Madeira - Day 32 - Funchal from above

Today I wanted to sign up for another walking tour so walked down to the old city and paid for a walk on Sunday. (I asked if I got a discount for my 4th walk with them and they took 5 Euro off!)

Scattered through the city are these public water taps. They usually have a stone trough below and are backed by simple tiles.
As this is in the old section I decided to visit while I was there. I later had lunch at the restaurant on the top floor.
The museum traces Madeira's history from its volcanic origins, early explorers and settlers,
its importance as a trade centre, development of the sugar and wine industries, creation of the levadas and early tourism.
Along the way I also learned about the flora and fauna,  pirate attacks, Christopher Columbus, the role of Madeira in both of the world wars, steam ships and float planes ... lots of info to read.
The root of the name Azulejos is from the Arab "Zulaija" meaning 'small burnt stone" and because blue was the dominant colour "Azule" was added.
The displays took up 2 floors and there was a rooftop restaurant with a lookout area above it. Up there you were at the same level as the cable cars just starting their climb up the hill.

You could look down at the jigsaw puzzle of roof tops

and down onto hidden terraces.

I was just going to have a coffee but when the water mentioned lunch I realized, I was hungry.

Prawn and avocado salad, garlic bread and a glass of wine

while watching the catamarans coming in

and the buses going out.
Revitalized, I walked over to the city hall square as I knew they did a tour at 3pm but when I got there (at about 2) the door was closed. But the church next to it was open.

Just inside the door some Azulejos tiles behind the baptismal font. The church was built by the Jesuits who owned much of the wine industry and spent their money lavishly on the church before they were thrown out of Madeira. The Jesuit college they built behind the church is now the University of Madeira.

The walls were an interesting combination of original hand painted tiles and  painted walls (recently restored).
The vaulted, wooden, painted ceiling's tromp l'oeil depicts 3 domes
and additional galleries.

The usual abundance of gold

Following signs for the stairs to the tower I found myself in another room with hand painted tiles
and another magnificent painted ceiling.
I paid my 1Euro and climbed the stairs to the roof of the church.

Not quite to the tower but I don't think there was room for tourists in there with the bells.
Still on my "to do" list, get up to that fortress.
That's City Hall. Later I would stand in that tower and take pictures of this church.
Looking towards the harbour and the Cathedral clock tower.

Walking out along the other side of the church, more painted ceilings
and more tiles. I learned later that the addition of yellow to the tiles was to depict prosperity (gold).

On the way up the stairs to the roof there had been information boards about all the restoration work done and still to be completed, and here they were putting a new coat of paint on the doors.
My next visit was to City Hall (the door was open now) but its late, so those pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment