Friday 8 March 2019

Madeira - Day 34 - Camara de Lobos

Madeira has 4 different bus systems. There is one in Funchal, one that goes to and from the airport and large hotel areas, one that services the island east of Funchal (that I took to Camacha, the wicker town) and one, that I used today, that services the island west of Funchal.
I looked up on line how to get to Camara de Lobos, a village just West of Funchal, and Trip Advisor ended up having the most useful answer. It even indicated where the ticket office for the bus line was. So I went down to the sea front this morning and found the ticket kiosk, as promised, in front of Opan (a bakery I had had coffee and apple tarte in ) and the very helpful employee there sold me a return ticket and told me which bus number and where to catch it. As I moved off a bus pulled up and the ticket seller came out of the kiosk to tell me I could take that one, it would get me there too.

The bus let me out above the harbour. The "Lobos" in Camara de Lobos refers to the Monk Seals that used to bask on the rocks here (Sea Wolves) but now are only found on the Islas Desertas.

The upper section of the stone beach was covered in boats.

Some of them were being worked on, motors,

wood repairs and painting.

It wasn't all work.

I wandered across the beach,
between the boats.
Loving the colours.
I walked around the bay
there was considerable construction going on along the one side of the bay, new housing I think, with a lovely view.
Above the village, terraces of banana plantations.



Once in the water they are definitely working fishing boats.
Beyond the harbour is a beach and then the huge cliffs that I was on top off about 3 weeks ago.
Little chapel next to the water
Angelic painted ceiling
and the walls are covered with paintings,
most of them relating to the ocean.
I sat beside the harbour
and ordered scabbard fish and prawns tapas

and salad,
while watching a boat launching.
I was eating at one of those restaurants on the right.
I sat on the wharf and did a quick, impression, sketch to use for painting later.
I caught the bus back after being in the village for about 3 hours.
When I got back, Blanca handed me a bag of spinach and another of parsley. The previous day she had handed me a bunch of bananas, another huge avocado and 4 sweet potatoes. All were gifts from her father in law and their neighbours on the other side, both of whom have vegetable gardens and fruit trees. I am being really spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment