Wednesday 13 March 2019

Madeira - Day 39 - Tiles

It was colder today, about 15, grey and quite windy so I finished a book. When I stepped outside to go for a walk it started to spit rain, so I went back in.

I got the paints out again and tried to paint Camara dos Lobos, from my memory and the sketch.
I realized that I can't get the range of colour I want from the child's paint box that I picked up here. I hope that's why it looks like a child did it!
 When I went outside next I could still feel rain in the air but walked over to Museu Frederico de Frietas and checked with the reception that I could sketch the tiles. The lady at the desk nodded, handed me a sheet of paper to fill out and sold me a ticket. I glanced at the paper and saw that it required writing down the identification of the tiles I was interested in so I went to sketch them first.

I have seen Group of Seven sketches in the AGO where they included notations regarding colour so tried the same kind of thing.
I was interested in tile motifs that I thought would translate well into rug designs and rug borders.
When I had finished, or rather, had got bored of the process, I put on my glasses and started filling out the form. I realized that it gave me permission to take photographs as long as I promised to give credit to the museum in anything that was published. So then I went back and took photos of the ones I had sketched.



I am not even going to try and type out the identification info. It's in the photo below.


I happily snapped

everything I had sketched.



And some things that I hadn't

and I dutifully wrote them all down on the form.


Along with the information that
 
they were for personal use and a personal blog.



The form was obviously used when someone was going to put pictures of the tiles

in an academic book or paper,

rather than an on-line diary and file of rug ideas.




The sketching had been a useful exercise, helping me look not only at the shapes but the limited colour pallet used.

I also took a few photos of the space

though I wasn't quite sure how to record those on the form.
 I signed and dated it and handed it in to the woman who was minding the tile part of the museum and wondered what the administration would think when they got it. I gave them my e-mail, I may hear from them?

Walking back there was still a feel of rain in the air and the hint of a rainbow up in the clouds.
I stopped in at the grocery store, trying to get some groceries stocked up before Nicola and Dave arrive on Friday. While waiting in line I let a lady leaning on a cane go in front of me. Then the woman in front of her directed her to another line where it said she had priority.

What a good idea, certain people get priority service in 2 out of the 12 checkout lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment