Tuesday 14 February 2023

Cyprus - Dog Beach

 

Driving the B6 between Aphrodite's Rock and Pissouri I have been curious about this sign so Rick and I went to investigate.

We parked just off the B6 and walked down the signed road. Very rutted and rough, I am glad I chose not to drive it. The hills around had very white rocks which contrasted with the greenery and wildflowers.

The walking path from Pine Bay in Pissouri ends here. I have never done it because the walk back would be entirely up hill.

The stony beach is book ended by

beautiful white cliffs.

I sat on the smooth white rocks at one end of the beach, listening to the waves rolling the stones and

admiring this "whale tail" shaped rock

while Rick explored the beach. We tried to walk back a different way, through a tunnel under the road, but it was full of wet, slippery, white clay.

Clover

We drove back, watching for rock slides and goats.

The white rock that I picked up at the beach behaved like chalk. The white cliffs of Dover are chalk but I can find no information on the white cliffs of Pissouri.

Chris and Jason had picked up Mars Ice Cream bars a couple of times, bemoaning the fact that they can't find them in Canada. Rick and I decided to try the Bounty ones.

At painting class I always ask Judith for suggestions on improving the painting I have done during the week. This was her response to the "house in Kouklia with blue doors" painting.

Judith: There are no shadows

Me: there were no shadows in the photograph

Judith: I don't care about the photograph. As an artist you choose what to take out or add in to make the best painting. Shadows would improve it.

I don't think I like it as much with the shadows but it perhaps it improves the composition and makes it more interesting.

 
In class I was working on painting water. This one had resist put on for the splash.


This one had resist for the boats and sails, then taken off and painted. When the water was totally dry I scraped it with a knife to get the white bits. I love all the techniques I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment