Thursday 9 February 2023

Cyprus - Paphos archaelogical site

As we got into the car to leave this morning, 2 birds of prey were circling above us. No time to get cameras out but we noted their features and believe that they were Honey Buzzards.

We let Google Maps guide us to our destination which turned out to be a mistake as she tried to take us down dead end and one way streets but in the end we wiggled our way through the maze and reached the parking lot beside the harbour.

I think I came here twice by myself and once with Nic and Dave, when I was here last time, so there are tons of pictures elsewhere (2020) on the blog. I didn't take many this time.

The mosaics are still amazing to me. They don't get old (hehe, couldn't resist)

Much more recent, the lighthouse was built in 1880, and because I think I want to paint it, I took pictures of it from every angle.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be this one of Theseus in the Labyrinth. It is out in the open, not covered with a tarp and sand,  as are many of the mosaics, to protect them from the winter weather. Not covered by a building or roof, as many of the more elaborate ones are. But at least you can't walk on this one, some you still can.

Even the corners are beautiful, in three shades of rusty brown.

Photo by Rick. Proof I was there.


I haven't seen many birds here so was excited to see a large bird on a tree, zoomed in, took lots of photos and was rather disappointed when I got them on to the computer and found it was just a pigeon.

The House of Dionysus is entirely covered by a building and has so many different, beautiful mosaics that Rick and I decided, in spite of what the archaeologists say,

its a commercial mosaic makers showroom. "Yes Mam, we could give you an entirely geometric mosaic or would you like to choose a picture from our extensive line, showcased on this floor". Every picture, in the huge floor mosaic, is different.

Out of the house of "Mosaics R Us" and on to the lighthouse

and the amphitheater and

the huge,

partially excavated,

Agora.

Flora and

fauna and

 a Stonechat.

Another view. It is a large site and I thought in my previous 3 visits that I had seen it all, but Rick and I took a path that I hadn't taken before

and found, what was described, on the main map we looked at later,

as "the subterranean Sanctuary of Apollo".

Continuing to walk around the perimeter of the site, this Merlin sat for long enough to get photos. We have seen lots of them but they are fast and shy. Photo by Rick.

Cyclamen growing out of stone. They are wild here, always white or very pale purple.

We spent a bit of time exploring the Byzantine castle but were getting hungry

so next stop was lunch beside the harbour. Prawn and avocado salad for me and BLT for Rick. He is such an adventurous eater.

No comments:

Post a Comment