Tuesday 7 October 2014

My "Hunt for Red October"

Sorry about the title but once it popped into my head I couldn't shake it. I took these pictures over a two day period, last week, on Long Point (biking) and along St Johns Rd, Norfolk County (driving). I'm so glad I did it then as it was beautiful fall weather, almost summer weather, and now it is awful fall weather, almost winter weather.
I wanted to document some of the fall colours, even though they are not yet at peak because we haven't had cold enough nights yet.
Close to home. The only things left in my vegetable gardens are kale, chard and
slowly reddening peppers.
I can't remember who gave me this ornamental grass but the blades go burgundy in the fall.
Heavy with berries in the Old Provincial Park! What does that forecast for the winter?
The Sumacs go fabulous reds.

Unfortunately the colour in the photo isn't true to life. This tree was a deep,
dark red.
Focusing on one colour was interesting. The oranges and reds jumped out of the foliage to be noticed. Yellows were more subdued and I really had to look for them. They are closer on the colour wheel. The process reminded me that the same colour can look very different next to different colours. Also that it is difficult to draw a line where red stops and orange starts, orange stops and yellow starts, yellow stops and green starts.

 Good exercise for me with my colour blindness and an excuse to stop and take pictures in the lovely weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment