Saturday 18 October 2014

UK 2014, Pontyberem to Preston and some Welsh bits.

I had a hard time tearing myself away from Christine but finally pushed myself out the door at about 9:45 (there go the plans for an early start) and basically retraced my drive up through Wales. I went through places called Tumble, Cross Hands, Beulah, went round Llandrindod Wells twice and had to ask directions to get out, Newton ( a new town in the 12th century!), Pant, Llay and up to Chester again, where I stayed the first night. After that it was lots of motorways:M53, M56, M6 to get to the Travelodge I have booked for tonight, just outside of Chester. I was here by about 3, making much better time than my trip down as I am a bit more confident on the roads, will do 60mph if I can see the road ahead and 50mph most of the time. I took no pictures today but here's some from the last few days.
These horses were grazing in the common grazing area and when I put the window down to take the picture the grey one
stuck his nose in. I put the window up and he leaned on the car. I moved on! Chris told me later that people have been
seen feeding them through the car windows (that explains the behaviour) and that when its cold the horses huddle around the
cars for warmth.
Another bird not seen in Canada, although not as cute as a robin, this is a Jackdaw. They are a
bit bigger than a crow and have a grey head.
Dad had mentioned that I would probably see lots of Kites and he was right. They were nearly non existent in England but have been very successfully reintroduced. I thought I had seen some on the drive down to Pontyberem and checked Christine's bird book to be sure. Yes, they are quite a good sized, soaring bird and the only one of that size that has a swallow tail. I saw a few more on the drive back North.
Part of a gravestone in Llansteffan cemetery. Perhaps a sailor.
Christine checking out the fishmongers in Mumbles. Local catches were identified on the signage.

No comments:

Post a Comment