Thursday 30 October 2014

UK 2014, Celtic Crosses and Kingussie walk

We spent the morning trying to figure out how we are going to get to Glasgow on Saturday. There is work being done on the tracks this weekend so the train would take us to Perth, then bus us to Stirling, then train again to Glasgow and then still not at the hotel. It would take about 4 hours and cost about 20 pounds each. The bus involves two changes, would take 6 hours, and would cost slightly more than the train. We finally found a service that will drive us door to door and decided to take that even though it was the most expensive. We are lugging luggage and this seemed a stress free option.
Pam and I walked around a church near the house, on a mound directly opposite, across the river, from the Ruthven Barracks.
I was interested in the number of Cletic Crosses there were.
I have been interested in hooking a celtic knot rug and may use these as a starting off point.
I took pictures of about 10 but this is the last one I'll post.
Lunch at the Teapot Café and then I went for a walk. I started out walking the trail along the Gynack Burn (river).

Well signed walks.
Lovely paths through the woods
Beside a rushing, swirling river. The Gynack cuts through a deep gorge and has powered mills and
provided water to the town and a distillery.
When I reached the top of the Gynack Mill Trail I decided to walk the next loop around the golf course.
Part of the path follows the river through the golf course.
Stairs up out of the river valley and then a clear path through the bracken around the top golf holes.
Magnificent views from the top of the golf course.
and the path continued up
finally I saw Loch Gynack which I knew was the furthest point on this path.
Another path went up to the top, I didn't take it but turned back down the hill to Kingussie.
It was about 4pm when I started down, beginning to get quite dark in the wooded sections and
I really had to watch my footing with slippery rocks, roots and muddy places. I was glad I had
told Heather and Don where I was going, envisioning a twisted ankle.
I walked about three and a half miles in about 2 hours. Walking back through town I was hailed from an open door. Heather, Don and Pam were having a drink at The Tipsy Laird. That cider went down very well!
Heather and Don drank the local brew on tap, Pam and I  had the cider on tap.
Glenbogle train station sign in the bar. The bartender talked about the Monarch of the Glen cast drinking
there as the series was shot at an estate close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment