Saturday 18 October 2014

UK 2014, continuing to Harrogate.

Up early this morning and on the M6 for a short while before getting off and on to the A59. Nice to follow just one road all the way. I was in the middle of a stream of Landrovers (or their type) pulling horse boxes and animal trailers of various kinds. I understood why when I passed two events within about 5 miles of each other. I would have loved to spend some time at either or both but had to return the car by noon today so couldn't risk stopping. The first event was a farm auction. The parking area was full of the trucks and trailers, there were covered and open pen areas full of animals and lots of people (in wellies and work clothes) milling about. A little further on there were signs for a "supercross" event and off to the right was a big estate. The horse boxes where pulling in here and I could see the temporary fences put up to delineate the course. I would really have liked to see that!
I had just had an instant coffee before leaving the hotel so stopped at a café for my first English breakfast,
vegetarian style. I love baked beans and fried tomatoes for breakfast.

In Wales both sides of the roads and all the fields were lined by hedges. Here there are some hedges but most of the "fencing" is done with dry stone walls. The road to Harrogate took me along the south side of the Yorkshire Dales and we plan to drive up through the Dales on our way to the Lake District on Tuesday.
I took the car in to the Enterprise office and they took me in to Harrogate and dropped me at the house we are renting. I was early and was very lucky that the cleaners let me leave my luggage there. I wandered around a bit, went to the tourist info office for some brochures and, more importantly, a map. They also gave me instructions to some grocery stores so that was next on the agenda.
We are located just around the corner from Betty's Tea Room and there is a lineup out the door. Very
popular place but maybe its just because its Saturday.
 
Statue of Queen Victoria, near the train station.
The house we have rented is at 9 Parliament Terrace and is right in the centre of town. Very convenient to everything but its quite a walk to the large grocery store, Waitrose, not so bad to the Tesco Express. Loaded down with groceries I got back. Its a cute little house, very well appointed, with extremely narrow stairs up to the 2nd and 3rd floor bedrooms. Thankfully there is a bathroom on each of those floors.
Nice comfy living room.
Bright, modern kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment