Monday 10 February 2020

Cyprus - cats and flowers

Today I picked up the rental car and did a trial run to Larnaca Airport as I will be picking Nicola and Dave up on Thursday, in the dark.

I waited for the bus  I leaned against the new stone shelter. No bench yet, or roof.
The cement floor signed by the local cats.

Driving out of Paphos, I stopped at a Garden Centre,
I was looking for a couple of pots of herbs to put on the balcony

but I was unable to resist the flowers.
I ended up with Basil, Oregano and 2 Cyclamen that they planted for me.
The Garden Centre was over run with cats. Sunning themselves,
playing among the plants,
sitting on landscape designs and any other flat surface they could find. The woman who served me said that they had started feeding one feral cat and had been unable to catch her to get her neutered. They were now feeding her and 2 litters of her kittens. "Do you live in Cyprus, would you like to take a couple with you?"
She said that the other problem is that some, like this one, get dropped off because everyone knows she will feed them.
I decided I needed lunch before the drive to the airport and stopped at the restaurant overlooking Aphrodite's birthplace, Petra tou Romiou Restaurant..

In the sun and out of the wind it was warm enough to sit outside though the waitress didn't think so, she shivered every time she came out to serve me.
The prawn salad was a bit pricey (paying for that view) but so large that I only ate half and had the other half for supper.
Watched by 2 of the patio's cats

and a Kestrel overhead.

The drive to Larnaca Airport was uneventful, except for a traffic jam in Limassol caused by roadwork. It took me an hour and a half, motorway all the way. The trip back took 15 minutes less as there was no slowdown. Should be no problem picking up Nicky and Dave.

Sunset clouds from the balcony.

1 comment:

  1. Bring home a kitten!!! (They need to do TNR - Trap Neuter Release, or the problem will keep expanding. She, or you, should make a request though www.talacats.com )

    ReplyDelete