Saturday 8 February 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - Saturday at the charity shop.

Huge storms overnight and for the first time I woke to chairs and the garbage can blown around the front garden. I later heard that it took trees down at the top of the hill. Walking through the village there was beautiful bright blue sky but still a bitterly cold wind, about 12 degrees was the high today.

On my way up to the charity shop for my Saturday shift I heard a persistent car horn. The Cypriots don't use their horns as much as I have heard in other countries so this was a bit of an oddity. Turning the corner I saw this open backed truck, full of crates of different vegetables and a woman was hurrying out of a her house to buy some. Door to door delivery, so convenient. Maureen, at the charity shop, told me that the bakery van also drives around the village, honking the horn, for people to come out and buy bread.
In the village there are houses that are dilapidated, run down, some obviously vacant and there are also lovely, well kept, pretty places. Just like at home the houses in a development all look pretty much the same but the village ones are varied.
There is not much of this almond tree left but what there is, is in full bloom.
I did my shift at the charity shop, bagging and wrapping peoples purchases and sorting books and CD's. The books and CD's are 6 for 1 Euro and people buy bags of them. They also bring bags of the books back. It's like an "almost free" library.
Afterwards I stopped in for a glass of wine with Kay and left when Jimmy started watching the 6 nations Rugby game (Wales vs Ireland, not sure why, as Kay is Welsh, but he was cheering for Ireland, who won).
I walk with the Cyprus Ramblers tomorrow so hopefully a more interesting blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment