Thursday 6 February 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - Showers

Showers were in the forecast for today (and tomorrow!) so I was in no hurry to get out of bed and dozed until about 10am. I did a load of laundry as my walking clothes were either sweaty or muddy or both. I hung half outside and half on a drying rack in the second bedroom as I would rather they dry outside but was covering my bases.

I did a little gardening - dead heading geraniums and fertilizing the plants in containers.

The rose is nearly completely out and smells lovely.
I was able to read for about half an hour, on the balcony, as it was quite warm, though not sunny, and then it poured. In the next break between showers I chatted with the lady who was cleaning the house 2 doors from me and she again took me into a garden to pick oranges. So many of the houses are vacant right now and all that citrus just rots on the ground.
After lunch (cold pizza from yesterday, yummy) I painted

Chris is a brutally honest critic and when shown this, via WhatsApp, she said I had nailed the stone wall but the rest of it looked like I was trying to make watercolour paints behave like acrylic. Hmmmm maybe I'm OK with that, maybe that is my style, maybe I will continue searching for a teacher!
A few Cyprus facts
Population in 2019 - 1.20 million, less than half the size of Toronto.
Of those 120 million, 110,000 are foreign born permanent residents. This would include the British ex-pats that have taken permanent residency.

Cyprus is 9,251 square kilometres, 1/8 the size of Ireland, a little less than twice the size of Prince Edward Island.

Cyprus is culturally Greek but is not part of Greece. The Republic of Cyprus is part of the European Union. The language spoken is Greek and the currency is the Euro.

Cyprus was formed by the collision of the Eurasion Tectonic plate and the African Tectonic plate, thrusting up part of the sea bed. Cyprus is therefor prone to earthquakes. The Troodos range is volcanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment