Saturday 16 February 2019

Madeira - Day 14 and 15

Yesterday was a stay at home day. Rain was forecast so I was prepared to spend a day inside.

Periodically dark clouds would come over the mountain behind the house
and the view would shrink (could no longer see the ocean), rain would splatter on the terrace for a few minutes (half an hour at most) and then it would clear again, temporarily.
I read, watched some TV (Into the Woods) and tried to turn these patterns that are meant for afghans
into something that will work on a coaster (not particularly successfully)
Today dawned bright and clear so I planned to take the bus up to the Botanical Garden, the cable car from there up to the Monte and then bus down.
This is the bus routes map for Funchal. There are other buses that serve the rest of the island.
Centre right of this shot is the street I use to get home, R.P Jose Ornelas. It is served by buses 19, 22, 26, 33 and 82. Which gives me a lot of options for my trip home. To get up to the gardens I needed to catch 22. The buses don't run as often on Saturdays as they do on weekdays (they are even less frequent on Sundays) and after waiting about 45 minutes I gave up on the idea and walked down hill.

These little semis reminded me of the "shotgun houses" we saw in New Orleans.
My new goal was to find the Municipal Square, somewhere in a warren of narrow, cobblestone streets, up hill from the Cathedral area. Because this had not been the original plan I didn't have my map with me.
I found it, purely by accident, but unfortunately the fountain in the centre wasn't working.
Fishscale cobblestone pattern.

I continued down hill, through the Cathedral area, to the harbour.

and treated myself to a glass of wine (with a complimentary snack),

a tuna salad, a pastel de nata and a cafe com leite
for 10 Euro including tip (that's about $15, the wine alone would cost that in Toronto)
Unfortunately the view was obscured by the line of taxis.
For the first time, since I have been here, there were no cruise ships in port. Just this beauty
and this more sinister looking visitor.
I took a brief walk along the promenade wanting to see if this mess would sort itself out into fleet racing but when I saw the #19 bus I hopped on, not wanting to have to wait again for the ride up hill.
Once home I did laundry (to take advantage of the sun as tomorrow is supposed to be rainy again) and sat on the terrace in the sun and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment