Sunday 3 February 2019

Madeira - Day 2 - Marina

I was up earlier than yesterday and walked down the hill a different way (the way the 26 bus came up) to help me get familiar with all the routes.
They are everywhere!
This is how you have to build when on this steep a slope.
and this is how you build roads. I lost count of the tunnels I came through coming from the airport.
I had a conversation with Blanca this morning and when I told her I took the bus back yesterday she went and got a rechargeable card and gave it to me to use.
Only the initial instructions for recharging it were in English and Portuguese but after pushing the first button (which told me there were 6 trips loaded on it) I was at a loss. A man who wanted to use the machine walked me through the rest of it. 10 more trip cost me 12.50 Euro (nearly $20). I am happy to pay $2 not to have to walk home up that hill.

I walked along the sea front picking up brochures and talking to sales people about dolphin and whale watching trips. It was too windy today for me to consider it but they went out this morning and saw dolphins. I am not interested in going out on the galleon, it looks very top heavy and rather silly.

There was a huge cruise ship in at the port and the dolphin trips had been booked up this morning by its passengers.
Down some stairs and I was at the marina. A mix of large and small, sail and motor.
Further along, Lasers were being readied
Optimist sail boats and
Lasers were scooting about in the harbour. I don't know if it was Sunday afternoon lessons, races or just for fun.
Turning back, I sat at one of these tables for lunch. I like to eat out but don't like eating alone so it is easier for me if I have something to look at. People and boat watching is a nice diversion.
The guidebooks and people I met while waiting for planes, recommended Espada Preta or Black Scabbard Fish. It is fished off the Madeira coast and traditionally cooked with the local  bananas. This filet was lightly coated and grilled, with grilled banana on top. The vegetables were cooked perfectly and lightly buttered. It was all delicious as was the house red.
I'm sure I paid a premium for the location but upon scanning other menus as I walked back, most listed Espada for 12 or 12.50 Euro.
On the way I had walked directly along the sea front. On the way back I walked closer to the road, through gardens
with statues,
a monument to Nelson Mandela (many Madeirans emigrated to South Africa),
fountains and
some cute little
"food trucks".

No comments:

Post a Comment