Monday 4 February 2019

Madeira - Day 2/3 - Velha and lazy day

I stayed home today, having walked my legs off yesterday, so the first pictures in today's post are a continuation of yesterdays walk.
After walking along the ocean front I wandered into the area at the East end known as Zona Velha. According to the guide book Funchal was the first Portuguese city to be founded outside of the traditional European boundaries, and it consisted of this "Old Town" area.
Feeling pretty tired, I just walked down one street that I knew would take me back to the market building.
It was mostly restaurants and, in between, doors to the apartments upstairs or homes and courtyards behind.
Most of the doors have been painted
by local artists.



This one was decorated with wood and stones.

I'm not sure
if all of the streets in this neighbourhood
have these painted doors but I am definitely going back to find out.

I popped back into the grocery store, as I plan to gradually amass my essentials instead of trying to lug everything home at once. I waited about an hour before the bus came (I was about ready to flag down a taxi) and realized when I got home that there was a different bus schedule on Sundays.
Today was a "stay at home" day:
First coffee, then yoga on the terrace. Nicola gave me a travel yoga mat for Christmas and although not as "cushy" as my one at home it was a welcome buffer to the hard tile.
Then breakfast, then laundry. The house has a washer and dryer and this drying rack and today, plenty of sun.
I spent the rest of the day alternating between sunbathing outside and reading inside (not wanting to get too much sun). I left the sliding glass doors onto the terrace open while on the couch as there don't, at this point, seem to be any bugs (no screens on doors or windows here).
At about 6 I went for a short walk, trying to follow a road parallel to the hill, no up, no down.
A big motor yacht heading out.
I noticed that the ends of some of the tile roofs had decorative components
Now I am going to be looking

for the different designs.


No comments:

Post a Comment