Thursday 7 February 2019

Madeira - Day 4 - Monte cont.

I had decided that I would not be walking back down from the Monte so I now had to find the bus stop.
Just outside the gate I had to dodge one of these
sliding down the road, guided by 2 men running at the back. They seemed to slow the toboggan down by standing on the back and steer it by pulling on the handles at the back.

It started in the mid 19th century as a way for the Monte villagers to go down to Funchal
but now thousands of tourists every year travel part of the way down on a twisting route of about 2km.
Still looking for the bus stop, I climbed the steps to the church and a friendly taxi driver, with impeccable English,
sent me back the way I had come.
Past another small pond with swans

and walls lined with flowers, to the bus stop.
I didn't have to wait long and I had my own exhilarating ride down the mountain (especially when 2 buses had to creep past each other on a hairpin bend).
Mirrors are set up to determine if anything is coming around some of the corners.
Back at the city centre I stopped for a few groceries and then caught the bus home. I am picking up essentials gradually so I can carry them, a few at a time, in my backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment