Thursday 19 March 2020

Akamas Peninsula, Cyprus - last day with the car.

I did some chores this morning, 2 loads of laundry and bringing the sunbeds down to the house from the pool. The pool is currently closed as the Cypriot Government sent a letter to the development with changes that had to be made (washroom, shower, lifeguard) and until they are compliant the pool has to be closed. Doesn't matter right now but it will make it difficult for the people who rent out their places to holiday makers in the summer months.

It was sunny and windy so the laundry dried in no time, quick lunch and I was on my way.

I drove beyond Paphos, beyond Coral Bay, beyond Agios Georgios, to the far West of the island. The Akamas Peninsula.
This is a protected area, no development yet. It is rugged and beautiful and I wish I had come here sooner.
The coast and the sea, here, are protected due to it being a nesting area for 2 species of sea turtles.
Quite a common occurrence but I happened to have my camera on the seat next to me.
I drove as far as a parking area here. Four wheel drive vehicles are recommended and I crawled along the rough, pot holey road in my rental that has very little ground clearance. I then walked up the track wondering what this "Last Castle" thing was all about.
It's a restaurant but, of course, its closed! But the scenery on the walk up and back was worth it.

There is no menu as the only food on offer is a perfectly cooked and delicious souvla, consisting of pork and chicken served with a jacket potato or wedges, village salad and bread. It is a licensed restaurant and all other beverages are also available.The restaurant is well shaded by flowering shrubs and vines providing a unique setting. There is plenty of seating with different arrangements and all of the table tops are large slabs of solid stone, just think Flintstones and you have the picture. There is no menu and visitors don't expect one, which all adds to the charm and ambiance of the restaurant. from elysianfieldsproperties.com
After looking it up I remembered that Jimmy had recommended it.

Masses of Anemone but I only saw white ones here!
Wild succulents.
and Juniper forests,

low shrubs with red berries.

Lots of the lizards out basking in the sun.

Aside from the flora and fauna,
impressive
geology

and beautiful,

pristine views.

Akamas (Greek: Ακάμας, Turkish: Akama), is a promontory and cape at the northwest extremity of Cyprus with an area of 230 square kilometres.[1] Ptolemy described it as a thickly wooded headland, divided into two by summits [a mountain range] rising towards the north.[2] The peninsula is named after a son of Theseus, hero of the Trojan War and founder of the city-kingdom of Soli.
Until the year 2000, the peninsula was used by the British Army and Navy for military exercises and as a firing range. Under the 1960 Treaty of Establishment, the British Army was allowed to use the Akamas for exercises for up to 70 days a year. from Wiki

ATV tours of the Peninsula are offered.
I have seen them racing down the roads in convoy but
I would want to explore the area slowly

stopping and sitting sometimes just to take in the natural beauty.
I hope it is saved from development and if I don't make it home at the end of March I will come back to explore (I'll need a 4 wheel drive though).

Surveying her (or his) domain.
On my way back home I stopped in at Papas for some fresh veg and some honey. There was a girl at the door. Upon entering she squeezed sanitizer on my hands and then handed me a pair of black latex gloves. Everyone, staff and customers, were wearing the gloves. Taking it seriously.

I received an e-mail from my travel agent today. British Airways have cancelled the flight I was to take from Heathrow to Toronto and booked me on a later one, the same day. So I now have a boarding pass for Larnaca to Heathrow and from Heathrow to Toronto. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment