Monday 23 March 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - more of yesterday's walk

After leaving the hillside yesterday I walked through the village. The only people I had seen where a couple walking and a man with a couple of dogs. There had been a few cars about, but not many. The top of Pissouri hill is a bit of a mish mash of roads leading off to developments with the school and the soccer field as sort of a hub.

In between the developments there are still little patches like this. There was a goat on the other side of the wall.
There was also this. I don't know why I never noticed before as I have walked on the roads on either side of it.
The only sign was in Greek but internet research revealed it was Agiou Alexandrou Chapel. Built in 1990 on a spot where people used to pray under a tree.
It's on a little knoll with a view back towards the sea in one direction
and the village in the other.
I sat on the pathway up to it and did a quick sketch.
Walking back down through the village there was no one else out and about.
The occasional cars were going very fast, confident that no-one else was around.
They did, however, have to weave around many parked cars and construction materials. Lock down means time to do some home renovation.
The village square had regressed to January, no tables and chairs out, shuttered restaurants. The only difference was that flowers had been planted before everything got shut down.
It was warm enough to sit on the balcony with nuts, wine and a book even though it was in the shade.
Today (no sleep in this time) I finally finished demolishing Cameron's jungle of weeds next door and trimmed the two trees, again, that I trimmed about a month ago. They had grown about 18 inches in that time.

Next time I go to Paps I will have to get some heavy duty garbage bags because these, that I had been using for kitchen garbage, are not sturdy enough.
Bodil, in No 6, invited me for coffee. With social distancing that is a challenge. She left the doors open so I wouldn't have to touch handles and I went straight upstairs and out on the balcony, even though it was a bit cool, so we could stay the required distance apart. It was nice to have a chat over coffee and a lemon turmeric ("good for your immune system") torte, warm from the oven. But it was accompanied with niggling concern that I was still too close and breaking the rules.

I came back and calmed myself down
by painting the white and pink Anemone from yesterdays walk.
Jimmy has watched me taking flower pictures on numerous walks so sent me pictures of his Freesia, in the garden. Photo by Jimmy.
Photo by Jimmy


Photo by Jimmy


He also accidentally sent me a photo of his Lavender. "May have pruned it too much". In conversation we decided that he should perhaps not dig it out but see what happens. After all he thought he had killed his rose by spraying it with herbicide rather than insecticide, and it survived. Photo by Jimmy.

More on the "Coming Home" roller coaster. My travel agent thinks she might be able to get me home via Zurich, with a stay overnight there, then on to Heathrow and then home. Leaving on April 2, getting home on the 3rd. Not holding my breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment