Sunday 29 March 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - Pine Bay walk continued

I ended yesterday's post at the point where I turned around and went back to the walk that Jimmy had suggested.

In Canada we might say that this signifies that it will be a hard winter. In Cyprus it probably signifies that it was a wet winter, good for growing pine comes.

This part of the walk was near the edge of the valley rim and very rocky.
Still impressive views
I thought I had seen every flower possible, but here was another.
A solitary wild Gladioli

I have yet to see any of the processional caterpillars, just these unruly piles.
They almost look like tulips. There is a wild Cyprus Tulip but they are rare and in the pictures I found on the internet they had pointed petals.
Jimmy's instructions had mentioned a chapel reached by going down a track to the left. There was no sign.

I started down it

but my legs were tired
and I knew that every stride down
was a climb back up, so I left the Chapel for another day.

The track now went through a meadow with Carob and Olive trees, twisted by the wind.
to a goat farm
with horses in the field beyond.
It was difficult to get good photos of them because the goats were back-deep in long grass but I did get this one, climbing to eat a Carob tree.
And this one, first eating a stick
and then using it to scratch his head.
I was now looking down at where you turn off the B6 onto the road that comes up the hill to Pissouri. I could just make out the supermarket, Papantoniou.
The track went through another meadow, with horses, before curving around below the water tower (Good! That was on Jimmy's map)
Not any old horses, beautiful, gleaming,
well cared for, horses who

did little more than look up, as I walked by, and then returned to grazing.
I kept expecting that I would have to navigate a gate, to keep the horses in, but there wasn't one. The track just lead straight out on to the road by the school.

I had been walking for about 3 hours and was stiff and sore by the time I got home. Sipping on a glass of wine while soaking in a hot bath put me to rights.
Today was a restful day. I did something that on the internet is called "gardening from scraps" and will post photos in a later blog.

This has been sitting in the living room for 2 days. I wanted to do yoga and thought I should vacuum the floor first. I don't know if I was procrastinating because I didn't want to vacuum or because I didn't want to do yoga. Then I realized that the only thing that really motivates me to clean at home is anticipating having company and with the lockdown in place there will be no company! I vacuumed and did yoga!

I am ending this post with a guest photographer; Rick, from my sailing crew, sent me this picture of swans that he took at Long Point last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment