Sunday 22 March 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - a new walk.

Something happened today that hasn't happened in a long, long, time - I slept in until 11am!! Admittedly I haven't been sleeping that well for the last few days. Uncertainty disturbs my sleep. I think the "sleep in" must mean that I have accepted that I am staying here for the duration.
The last few years, nearing the end of my winter travels, I have wondered what it would be like to stay longer, to see the community and the country for more than one season, maybe for a full year! But I have also been looking forward to returning home, seeing family, friends, home, my neighbourhood, sailing, gardening etc etc.... but the decision has been taken out of my hands (though I hope it wont be as long as a year!)

There are areas of Pissouri that I haven't yet explored so today I set out

up the "road" behind the Sunrise development.
It is in even worse condition than the first time I walked up there.
The views are still great and

there are more flowers out in the fields
on the walk up to the development called "Pissouri Village" (so where are the rest of us then??)
These are tiny, low to the ground and look like drops of blood, their colour is so intense. I can't find them on the internet so don't know what they are called.
On the last walk I was told to watch out for wild Gladioli and I think that's whats in this meadow.
Yep, that's what they are!

Widespread throughout Cyprus, wild gladiolus is a plant of disturbed ground, often flourishing in ploughed fields. The Greek name makherides means little knives, referring to the blade-like young leaves while the ancient Greek name for the wild gladiolus was xiphium, from the Greek word xiphos, meaning sword.from flikr.jonnobird

The development up here, like so many around, is not completed. There is a road with this view, but, as yet, no houses.
Wild garlic.
I was conscious on this walk to be mindful, I have lots of time, no pace I have to keep, no deadline I have to keep. The world is having to slow down. There was just the sound of the breeze in trees, birds and somebody drilling or sanding somewhere (the lockdown hasn't applied to the construction industry). Slight smell of the sea and a variety of scents from the trees, bushes and flowers. After scrambling up a rough hill to a track I was walking on a combination of solid rock and gravel. I was noticing the smallest of flowers:


This is minuscule.
I have been distracted by the beauty of the Orchids and Anemones and I am glad that I looked below them today.
However my eyes are also constantly drawn to the sea and the rugged hills.
The Columbia Hotel and, beyond, the far end of the Pissouri Beach.
I couldn't resist the colouring of this Anemone especially as I saw a white and pink butterfly that matched it exactly (no photo, sorry)
Nettles have a bad reputation
but these are fascinating.
Glad I found the entrance to the track so I wont have to do the hillside scramble when I come back to explore further.
Back into the residential area, this huge house

is ringed by Topiary. They look like dancing dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment