Tuesday 31 March 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - stricter lockdown rules

Last night the Cyprus government announced stricter social distancing measures. The new cases (I think there were 35) mostly occurred in people who were still socializing with family. Cypriots are very family orientated.
So now there is a curfew from 10pm to 6 am, we can only go out once a day, we can only go out for an hour, there can only be 3 people in a car, everyone under 65 has to use the mobile phone system to get permission to go out and the fines for not following the rules have doubled to 300 Euro.
Well the curfew doesn't really effect me but this curtails my long walks. I will have to walk faster if I want to continue exploring the area. I am going to stay in every other day (maybe just a short walk around the neighbourhood) not wanting to push my luck. I know that what I have been doing has not put me or anyone else at risk but I also know that to get control of this thing we all have to work together, following the rules.
The good news is that TuGo, my travel medical insurance provider, called and they have decided to extend my coverage until my flight at the beginning of May (with no Coronavirus exclusion!). I am really glad I pushed it and really glad that the woman I was talking to took it up her "chain of command". She said that they are unlikely to extend it any further and I said if I didn't fly out I would be asking them to. She said "you can always ask".

I didn't go out today. It was extremely windy, gusting up to 70km an hour and a lot of dust/sand to get in my eyes. So here are some photos that I have taken this week that haven't made it into the blog:

Many of the orange trees are in bloom, even though they still have fruit on them. They smell lovely. Many lemon trees produce fruit on a continual basis but oranges flower now and take 8 or more months to produce fruit.

Now that the almonds have finished flowering

other trees have been taking over.

Olive trees don't seem to flower but you can see where the fruit is going to grow.


A new addition to the "gardening from scraps" experiment, celery. I bought a huge bunch when I was last at Paps, complete with a lot of greenery on top of the stalks. I looked it up and you can use all that green leaf as if it was parsley so that has been chopped up and put in salads and chopped fine and put in dinners.
Boy, landscapes are tough! As is mixing paint to get the right colour.So I went back to flowers .

 Both of my watercolour teachers said that they had a favorite brush and tended to use it almost exclusively. I have been using one brush most of the time

the lower one, so I decided today to paint only with that small one at the top of the photo.


Gives a different effect. This was a useful exercise as it gave me a better idea of when to use this brush.
Later in the afternoon I did a trial run of Christine's trivia game. This is the third week she has hosted a trivia contest for family and friends and each time there are more joining in. The use of Zoom and Google Docs worked well last week so that is what she is using again.

Now for the guest photographers;

Mark, my sailing skipper, sent this shot of his dog, Bailey.

 Daniele, my sister-in-law, sent me this video of Rasta playing with a catnip mitten. You can see his little thumb (that always creeps Chris out).



No comments:

Post a Comment