Saturday 28 March 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - Pine Bay walk

I went up to the little grocery store in the village square this morning because I needed milk. There is only ever one employee there, on the cash, so there is a table at the door with hand sanitizer and latex gloves. There were 2 other people in the store and we all kept to our own aisles and 6ft apart lining up to cash out. So here's how Cyprus is different:

Not only is there plenty of toilet paper but they have it on sale. No price gouging; the pasta, also a cart full, was "buy one get the second one free"
There has been concern that the cats will be starving as none of the restaurants are open so no kitchen scraps and no customers to beg from. He doesn't seem particularly concerned.
While walking back I got a phone call from the Canadian Consulate in Cyprus letting me know she had sent an email with a potential flight home tomorrow. Just on Easy Jet but with a potential to catch an Air Canada the following day. When I got home I got on line looking at seats, hotel in London (couldn't find one that was open) and ways to get from Gatwick to Heathrow. It all looked complicated and I would have to sleep in the airport. I considered it, feeling the pull to get home and at least be physically closer to family, friends, a health care system I understand etc. But I ended up deciding not to go for all the same reasons as before. I wont revisit the decision again. I have a flight booked for May 2, 2020, and at this point that is what I am planning for. It may not happen but I will deal with that then.

On the way back from the store I collected this map (from under his welcome mat outside) that Jimmy had created for me, of walks around the Pine Bay area. He had also emailed me instructions with screen shots from Google Earth. He classified the drawn map as "abstract art".

I walked up through the village, didn't see a soul, got passed by 2 cars. This skull is on a fence of a compound guarded by a Rottweiler!
Down the road beside the Pine Bay development
and out on to the track beyond.
There are actually lots of tracks out here but I stuck to what looked like the main one that seemed to go in the right direction according to Jimmy's map.

These creamy coloured flowers among the Anemones might be Turban Buttercups.
In the distance to the left I could see the building where the band set up for the Green Day party in Panorama Heights.
It was very windy and very exposed. Still lots of flowers
but not the masses that I saw on the protected banks of the previous walk.
I was supposed to turn right when I reached an intersection. In conversation with Nicola she said I treated the map like I do my GPS. Yep, I can disagree with anything even a piece of paper. But I got lured by "what's over the next rise?"

"round the next bend?" until I got the views of the sea I was looking for.
Wind sculpts the trees here
and flowers are
low to the ground.
The ravines are deep and steep sided, running down to the sea.
The A6 highway, with nothing on it.
The B6 road with nothing on it ( of course there shouldn't be, there are barriers up, as it is closed)
I turned around and headed back to the track I was supposed to take.
According to my fitbit I walked 6 miles today (that's 10 km!) and I am pooped and going to bed. Tomorrow is a rest day so I will post about the rest of the walk then.

No comments:

Post a Comment