Wednesday 4 March 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - walking with Pippa

I had no ride for the walk today but wanted to get some steps in. In addition, Jimmy and I are planning on walking tomorrow with Pippa, John and Jenny's dog. So I decided that it would be a good idea if I took Pippa for a walk, to get to know her.

She was bouncy and excited at the prospect when I picked her up. Jenny told me not to "let her get away with anything" and that she responded to "beside me" rather than "heel". Also that she came when called but was better if there were treats in your pocket. She gave me "black bags" (for, you know what) and some treats.
we walked up through the village and discovered that there were far more dogs than I had thought. They emerged onto balconies and patios to "greet" Pippa. A surprising number of Boxers or Boxer crosses.
We were heading for Panorama heights, where the Green Day celebrations had been. This area is popular for dog walking as the roads are easy for the owner and the area between is wild for the dogs. Just before the cut off,  we passed a house with a "Beware of the Dog" sign and a barking Rottweiler. At the next house, a barking French Bulldog. Before I knew it the French Bulldog had shimmied under the gate, which had pushed it open and the Rotty and a Spaniel joined him in the escape act. So now we were surrounded by sniffing, circling, growling dogs. Pippa just tucked her tail and we walked, fast, on our way. Of the three the French Bulldog was the most aggressive, snapping and barking. A woman finally came out of the house and called (and called, and called) them back in. Whew. My heart rate could go back down.

Past a junk yard (with another Rotty on a heavy chain) and I cut off on to a track into a field. Pippa was very happy to be off leash.
Trying to get a "Pippa portrait" was a bit of a challenge as she would sit but kept shifting and turning, wanting to be off exploring not sitting still for a photo.

I called her back a couple of times and she always came. Rewarded her with a treat, and a stroke, and a good girl.
I had cut off the road before we reached Panorama Heights, found that it was fenced and I couldn't reach it without going back the way we had come and continuing down the road.

So we just walked the tracks in this area. Pine trees, grasses,
Anemones,
and another started, but not finished, housing development.
Pippa back on the leash, we walked back, hurrying past the house with the aggressive threesome but they were safely (but loudly) behind the fence. I delivered Pippa back and will not walk her, like that, through the village. I was scared for me but I was more scared for her. The dogs were focused on her and their aggression was aimed at her. John and Jenny have said I can use their second car to take her for walks so I will take them up on that next time.

The name Pippa is a girl's name of English, Italian origin meaning "lover of horses
However, "Pippa" has a rather vulgar meaning in countries like Italy, Greece, and Sweden. In Italian, it refers to something sexual, and in Swedish, they use it as a crude term to say "make love" or sex. from babygag.com

In the last week the swallows have arrived, swooping and diving in the sky above my balcony.
 
These, on the side of an apartment building, looked like Barn Swallow nests to me but sparrows were popping in and out of them. Maybe, just like at home, these 2 species compete for the same nesting sites.

After lunch I started working on a painting of this photo.

This took me a couple of hours. Next time I paint I will work on the Almond Tree, clouds, shadows and just generally "futzing" with it.
This evening was spent reading this. I picked it up in the Charity Shop attracted by the fact that it is set in a mill town in the Yorkshire Dales. 
I am enjoying it. The mystery moves along well, set in the 1920s, and I like the authors turn of phrase;
"...I can't always help the trains my thought catches."
" He had bright intelligent eyes, with the sort of bags under them that I associate with mothers whose children keep them awake ...."
".. the kind of day you expect to be warm, only to get a chilly surprise when you put your nose out of doors."

No comments:

Post a Comment