Saturday 7 January 2023

Cyprus - Tala walk

Yesterday, having walked my legs off for 2 days straight we took it easy. Did things like taking Cigi looking for cats, playing soccer with her on the patio, reading and

colouring
 

Today, I drove Jimmy and another neighbour, Greg, to the Saturday group walk. We met at a restaurant on the other side of Paphos for an urban walk.


 

Tala is up in the hills, North of Paphos and we had constant views across the built up shoreline to the sea.

Some of us took a short side route to see a little chapel.

It had a lovely view and

and a BBQ beside the shrine. I expect they use it for celebrations/festivals.

The chapel was dedicated to the Prophet Elias and we thought that there was some similarities here to the Greek Sun God, Helios.

 

Elias was suddenly snatched away by a fiery chariot in the year 895 B.C., and he ascended as though into heaven, whither God most certainly translated him alive from The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America website. 

In reading a description of his various mentions in the Bible most of them related to fire or bringing down fire. It made me wonder about how current religions have built on and  incorporated the religious beliefs that came before. 

We passed small homes, luxury villas and huge places under construction.

 

I didn't take many pictures as I was too busy talking to the interesting people in the group:

Greg, born and raised in Zimbabwe, who left when "the Communists took over" and moved to the UK. He found employment in Cyprus and has not yet been here for a full year. He likes it and hopes the job contract will be extended.

Beth, from England, here for two weeks house sitting. She can work remotely and so house sits all over the world. She says this usually involves caring for peoples animals and inside plants but gives her free accommodation. 

Dave, retired,  who spent his life in the British Navy, posted all over the world and spent a part of his career in submarines.

Gary, who runs the artists group in Tala and is going to put me in contact with a watercolour teacher.

I found this walk harder going than the one on Wednesday. It was hotter, hillier and a faster pace so at about the 6km mark I had to stop and rest, get my heart rate down and hydrate. The others carried on, offering to send back a car. Dave stayed with me and about 15 minutes later I was fine and we finished the 8km walk. I have not been walking much in the last 2 months and I have not yet acclimatized to the heat.

Next, lunch. I wanted Moussaka but the waitress said that was the only thing on the menu that was not available. I asked the man sitting next to me and he said he had had the "bangers and mash" and they were very good. No way. I ended up ordering two appetizers....Calamari and garlic mushrooms. Excellent and not a heavy lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment