Wednesday 18 January 2023

Cyprus - walk near the Akamas Peninsula

 

Although we parked next to a restaurant that advertised "The best of Irish hospitality" this walk took us quickly into the countryside. The Akamas Peninsula is one of the few totally unspoiled areas left in Southern Cyprus.

We could identify words here and there but basically, I gather, it was about the Roman graves in the area.

Not a major archaeological site but it has recently been fenced off so we could see nothing.

We walked down into a small gorge

with an arched bridge, almost hidden by undergrowth, that was built when the Venetians controlled the island. (1489 to 1571)

We were walking up hill and away from the sea.

The paved road we were on ended at this little church

I googled it but couldn't find an English name

but I suspect

it was dedicated to the Madonna.


Bananas are grown along this part of the coast.

We looked across the Avakas gorge at Viklari Restaurant also known as The Last Castle. It is, of course, closed right now and was when I walked up to it in 2020, but it has a great reputation for a rustic and basic menu, good value and great views.

We were now on a dirt and rock track which we shared with a herd of, mostly white, goats, being watched by a young woman in a truck. She moved the truck to keep them in sight, a modern goatherd. Some had bells and there were a few kids.

There was another little church (I couldn't even find this one on Google Maps) with pews outside in the shade and

a very dark interior.

The bell handily located at the gate.

I couldn't find any mention of it with a quick internet search but it looks just like Jack-in-the Pulpit.

I think this is an Orchid. If so, it is the first I have seen, this trip.

We walked back down, past the first church.

Past Banana plantations

and a view of the first beach on the Peninsula. Unfortunately we also walked past a huge barricade being erected closing off the road onto the Peninsula. I had hoped to go there.

Into our cars and we drove a little way to a restaurant for lunch. Outside, around a big table, in the sun, we chatted and ate. I was accepted as an "International Member" of the group (a new designation created by Jimmy) and I am scheduled to lead a walk on Feb 15th.  I had Souvlaki with a jacket potato rather than chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment