Friday 10 March 2023

Cyprus - Agios Georgios (it is actually pronounced Ayious Yeoyious, as the "g" is pronounced as an English "y")

 Looking ahead at the weather forecast there is a chance of rain for a few days next week, so I decided I better enjoy the good weather and drove to the other side of Pafos, to Agios Georgios.

I don't know what is going on with Google Maps but it kept sending me in circles so I finally just tried to follow the coast once I got beyond Pafos. That is not easy as frequently there are roads down to developments by the sea, but they don't link up. Eventually I found myself at the car park beside the sea caves. In 2020 one of the walking groups did a route here so I knew it was not much further east.

In 2020 this archaeological site was closed but today it was open (and free!)

Ruins of a 5th-6th century Basilica

There are a few columns remaining,


3 mosaic floors and

plenty of confusing walls and stones around.

There is a single info board at the entrance but that's it for signage.

Although there were a lot of cars in the carpark, I was the only person in the archaeological site as there is lots to see here.

Next stop, the little chapel.

In the niche above the door. I thought he was a carving.

They are usually very difficult to get photos of as they skitter away before you can focus but he let me get a couple of shots before he disappeared into the stones.

Inside, Icons of St George

and a vaulted roof, blackened by

years of candles.

I walked around the outside of the newer church,

looked down at the sailing club

and

the little fishing harbour, then

decided it was time for lunch. Tahini, olives, Taramosalata on bread with a glass of wine.

Taramasalata or taramosalata (Greek: ταραμοσαλάτα; from taramás 'fish roe' < Turkish: tarama[1] + Greek: saláta 'salad' < Italian: insalata[2]) is a meze made from tarama, the salted and cured roe (colloquially referred to as caviar) of the cod, carp, or grey mullet (bottarga) mixed with olive oil, lemon juice. From Wikipedia

Took a look at the little pottery shop in the parking lot.



In the church, more St George.


and the dragon


among others.

A solution

to the smoky candles.

This is a long enough post, I will continue the rest of the days photos in the next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment