Saturday 25 March 2023

Cyprus - Melanda Bay labyrinths.

 When Rick was here we walked Melanda Heights and I was looking for the labyrinths that I had seen, half built, in 2020. I looked on google earth and realized we hadn't walked far enough so I started from the other end of the walk this time.

The turn off the B6, that has a sign to the restaurant, quickly degenerates,tarmac, gravel and then rough rock and dirt


through vineyards. One side of the road in winter mode and

definitely spring on the other side. I have to assume they are different varieties.

3km and I get to the beach.


The restaurant is open but only has a few patrons.

No fishing boat at the ramshackle dock this year.

I walked along the beach and up on to the rocks

then took the rather overgrown path along the coast.


It wasn't very far

and there they were: 3 completed labyrinths and

some standing stones.

Some landscaping in process too.

I walked the largest one, made of grey and black beach rocks, set in cement. Weaving back an forth along the path

until I reached the centre

then back out the same way. I find it very relaxing.

Then I walked the one made of broken pavers in cement and outlined with brown rocks

and the one with broken pavers

and blue rocks.


Beside the sea,

surrounded by fields,

it's a lovely spot. I am so curious about who made them and why.

They are not listed on labyrinthlocator.com for Cyprus. On that site there is one that is a hedge maze in a botanical garden on the east end of the island and 2 mosaic labyrinths at the Pafos archaeological site.

Walking back


I did wonder why it was necessary to

point out that the jetty is dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment