Saturday 18 March 2023

Cyprus - just reading and painting.

The weather has continued to be rainy and cool (14 today). Today's walk was cancelled due to the likelihood that it would be really muddy and a forecast of 70% chance of precipitation.  Tomorrow, again, has a lousy forecast and then my last week here is looking good.

I alternate between books on the tablet and those in the villa's bookshelf. This one, from the bookshelf, was quite short but a fascinating read. Written by an Englishman who was teaching in Famagusta when the Turks invaded. First the family was sent back to England but they chose to return and live in a refugee camp to help the refugees. She taught kindergarten and he (an art teacher) developed projects that would help them earn some money. It really bought home the losses of the average Cypriot, not just the death of family members but also no longer being able to return to their homes, villages, communities, jobs and having to start all over again with nothing.

In the hot weather I thought I was going to lose the little pansies planted around the edge of this pot but with the cooler weather they have bounced back.


The Geraniums weren't doing much when I got here in January but are in full bloom now

with more buds in the wings.

I had another painting class and Judith critiqued the paintings I have been doing. She had me tone this down a bit, improve the blending in the sky and give the island a shadow.

Most of the rest she had me add more dark tones to give contrast between elements, shape things better and give some depth. My lesson was that I am stopping futzing too early and need to get braver with the dark areas.

I have been working in half sheets of paper mostly. Poseidon's Temple is on a full sheet. I am now starting to work on full sheets.

This will be my next attempt and Judith suggested I use pen as well as the watercolour. I have another class on Monday and then one the following Monday. I want to learn as much as I can from her.


sketched and starting to block in some colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment