Monday 20 March 2023

Cyprus - Omodos

 

Two events yesterday - 1) I heard this guy before I saw him, his loudspeaker was blaring that he was selling pots, 10 Euro. It makes sense, these would be very heavy and cumbersome to go and buy yourself.

When I went out to take the photo he stopped, asked if I wanted to buy. I would have happily bought some, I love terra cotta pots, 10 Euro sounds like a good deal, but I just can't get them in my suitcase.

Event 2) was dinner at Kay and Jimmy's. He made Wagamama Salmon Curry. He has a Wagamama cookbook and made the curry paste from scratch. Lovely meal and visit.

I have been getting cabin fever with the cool, wet weather, so when I was greeted by sun this morning I decided to go and explore a village recommended in the guidebooks.

I took the Highway towards Limassol and then turned north at Avdimou, from there it was a gradual climb up into the foothills of the Troodos Mountains. The were signs marking it as a "Wine Route" and I passed 2 wineries (closed, it is Monday). In other parts of Cyprus I have been surprised at the lack of terracing in the hills. Madeira, Mallorca, Southern France and Spain are all heavily terraced, often dating back to the Romans who established the growing of grapes in the regions they conquered. Well here there were lots of terraces climbing the edges of the hills, old walls, sometimes just holding back small parcels of land but all supporting grape vines. The vines down near the coast are showing signs of life but up in these hills they were all still in winter mode.

I parked in a large lot at the edge of the village of Omodos and  walked straight into narrow streets with lots of tourist shops: baked goods, candied nuts, local sweets,

linens

lace

fused glass, blown glass, metal sculptures, ceramics, paintings.


One shop, selling fused glass, had some of the tiles embedded in the flagstones of the entrance patio

and some really cute cats.

The only wide street is cobble stoned, flanked by restaurants and ends at

the monastery.


According to the tradition, very near the village of Omodos there was a village called Koupetra which today does not exist. The people of this village saw a fire one night in the spot where the monastery dominates today. In the morning they went and looked at the spot but found nothing. This phenomenon was repeated several nights. They climbed back to the spot and started digging until they discovered a cave with a cross inside it. To the Lord's sake, a chapel was built above the cave and the Cross was placed there. Over time, the chapel expanded to become a Monastery where many monks lived.

This monastery, the Monastery of the Holy Cross, according to tradition, was founded before the arrival of Saint Helen in Cyprus in 327 AD. the exact date of its establishment remains unknown.
From cyprusalive.com

So many arches.


Inside the church, in the centre of the complex, the usual ornately carved altar and seating

but also paintings on the walls,

gold and silver embroidery,

"over the top"

chandeliers and

this mosaic on the floor.

 

I couldn't find out much about why there was this double headed eagle with a knife (and a bowling ball? topped by a rugby ball?)

Today it is believed the flag that the Church of Greece presently uses was actually the flag of the Byzantine Empire, there is no proof for this. The double-headed eagle that looks on the east and the west on a yellow background is indeed the symbol of the Greek Orthodox Church and you will see it outside many monasteries and churches, however, there is no sign of how it was created.

Some believe that this eagle represents the strength of the Byzantine Empire that extended from the east to the west and that the Church uses it today to remind the pilgrims of the strong influence that is used to exercise during the Byzantine Times, which means that it used it as a sign of power and glory. From greekcitytimes.com

There was no-one around,

people preferred the shops I guess.

Just me, and the sparrows and swallows fighting over last years nesting sites.

Some sort of automated bell ringer?

I went back out and wandered the narrow streets some more.






A huge, antique, wine press.


I bought a couple of cookies at a bakery and then drove down to Kouklia to book the restaurant that we will eat at on Saturday, when I am leading the walk. Then I drove to Tala for my painting class.

I got there a bit early, so sat in the car, being entertained by this little guy.

He swooped down into a bush right next to the car, and grabbed a lizard.

Very pleased with himself.

This picture is more than I have every tried before but Judith is patiently guiding me through it. I figured that I might as well push myself while I have this resource available. I have one more class, next Monday.

Guest photographer, Rick



No comments:

Post a Comment