Thursday 16 March 2023

Cyprus - Souskiou

 I am leading a walk for the Saturday group on the 25th and wanted to see if I could make the Kouklia walk a bit longer for them. I drove as far as I could and then walked a track that Jimmy had thought might add an extra loop.

I found the water tank that Jimmy had mentioned but got turned back by a plowed field, wire fence and a lot of loose dogs. I was up high and looked down on a flock of sheep and goats


and looking north the hills are largely unoccupied, in contrast to the developed coastal areas.

I walked back to find the car surrounded by goats.


Climbing on each other to get to the Carob tree branches.

I exchanged kaleemera  (good day) with the man with them and when he rattled off a stream of Greek, just smiled and shrugged and he laughed.

Jimmy had pointed out the road that went to Souskiou but thought I would have to park and walk some of the way, however the road was fine, better than some around Pissouri!

Twists and turns and parts that were the old cobblestone road and then, in the valley, Souskiou, an abandoned village.

It was once home to over 300 Greek and Turkish Cypriots, and is one of the largest abandoned villages you will likely meet on your travels in Cyprus. During the intercommunal strife of 1963-64, Souskiou became an important stronghold of Turkish Cypriot Fighters. It also served as a reception centre for some displaced Turkish Cypriots from Kidasi Village during this period.

On 21 July 1974, at the beginning of the Turkish military offensive in the island, Souskiou was evacuated. Some of the fighters and their families sought refuge in Stavrokonnou Village and stayed there until the village was evacuated in September 1975.

Some also fled secretly over the mountains to the British Base Area and were eventually taken to the northern part of the divide via Turkey in January 1975.  From cypriotvillages.uk

Overlooked by windmills

and occupied by goats. More loose dogs in the neighbouring farm discouraged me from getting out and exploring.

Just finished. I was surprised to find one here that I hadn't read.

No comments:

Post a Comment