Monday 13 March 2023

Cyprus - Steni walk

 Jimmy drove Greg and I up into the hills behind Paphos, and almost to Polis for this Saturday walk. It was lovely being able to look at the scenery and the views were incredible.

We pulled off the road on to a wide shoulder and then walked up a rather steep hill to this stone building where we all took a breather.

Although most of the almond trees lower down are now dropping their petals like confetti, up here most are still in full bloom.


Views down to the sea and the peninsula where Rick and I walked when we went to Aphrodite's bath.

It's a fertile, agricultural area and much of the grain looked ready to harvest.

Gorse against a brilliant blue sky. Because I knew we would be up high I bought a jacket with me but it came off and went around my waist after that first hill, thankful for the breeze now and then.

Jean questioned what was for sale as there was just a ruined wall and a cliff. Great view though.

Just 7 of us on this walk.

Views,


plants,


loose dogs,


lots of conversation

and lunch on the patio of a taverna.

I had a "small veggie plate" which included a salad, a pile of fried onions, mushrooms and haloumi, 2 falafel, 2 koupes, some pita bread and a dish of hummus. I could only eat half and bought the rest home for another meal the next day.

Greg, who is from Zimbabwe, had eaten here before and recommended the Milk Tart which is a South African dessert (Melktert in Africaans). His description sounds very similar to a custard tart but the recipes I have found say that it is lighter than that. We were both going to order one but they had none left.


In many of these traditional Cypriot tavernas, the wife is the cook, the husband behind the bar and waiting tables and sometimes adult children helping out. When I went in to pay, she was sitting at a table making koupes.

 

I told her they were delicious and asked what was in the filling. I got the standard answer "I would tell you but then I would have to kill you" and laughing she told me most people just put onions and mushrooms but she adds carrots, corn, peas, cinnamon and parsley. The outer casing is a water and bulgar dough and then it is deep fried.

The bulgar was in an egg shape. She then used the end of a carrot to make a hole in it, filled it with the delicious mixture and then reshaped it into an egg shape again.


I am including this photo because I think that it looks like an impressionistic painting. The grain was blowing in the breeze, so just a bit blurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment