Friday 31 January 2020

Paphos, Cyprus - the harbour

I drove into Paphos this morning to drop off the car. When I picked it up, Jimmy drove me in and I followed him out, but I thought I remembered the way. I have also downloaded OSMand onto my phone. This is a satellite based navigating system (no data) but I am just getting the hang of it and, as Nicola well knows, I tend to argue with nav systems. This morning was no exception as "she" wanted me to go into Paphos a different way than Jimmy had taken me. Missed one lousy turn and found myself down by the waterfront. So I listened to "her" from then on and found the rental office. I have booked the car again for 2 weeks while Nicola and Dave are here.

As I had come from the waterfront I knew it wasn't far away so walked down to the sea. Goats, between the sea
and the apartments.

Nobody was swimming today
or playing volleyball, as the wind was blowing at 70km/hr.
Luckily I was walking away from it as I followed the coastal pathway with the sea on my right

and the lighthouse on my left.
It looks as if the lighthouse is actually in the archeological park. I will find out when I go back there.
Looking back, the way I had come.
As I neared the harbour it was time for some "splash photography".

There's something very compelling
about crashing waves
especially when the wind is lifting the top of them.
The castle by the harbour has a moat and looks promising
but inside it is just a shell.
Views from the top were nice but awfully windy.


Back downstairs, I walked the harbour; fishing boats
with buckets of nets along the sides,
the marine police,
and a variety of tourist boats - pirate ship, dive boats, day cruisers, deep sea fishing boats and this strange looking craft called The Nautilus that used to show 7D films inside but appears to be out of business (maybe due to that damage on the side).
I walked along the sea front, checking out the various menus
I chose "The Moorings" because of the friendly, low key greeter, table in the sun and out of the wind and the sign for "Happy Hour" from 12 to 1:00!
A piping hot jacket potato with fresh mushrooms and a creamy sauce, small salad and a glass of wine
was 8 Euro, about $12.
I took the 618 bus up to Karavella Square, walked down to the Tourist Office to see if they had info about driving on the Akamas Peninsular (west of Paphos). Info was - you can't, unless you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. That explains why there are ATV "Safaris" offered. Back to the Square and I caught the 630 bus back to Pissouri. I dropped in at Kay and Jimmy's to have a visit with Kay and find out what time I had to meet Jimmy for the walk tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment