Tuesday 7 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - Pissouriana

Last night was more thunderstorms and pounding rain. The wind was blowing it directly against the back wall and made the kitchen window leak on to the counter. About half an hour after I had asked Mick (via WhatsApp) if they ever had power outages here, the power went out. Luckily when he replied "yes" I had put the flashlight in my pocket. He reminded me that some parts of Cyprus only got electricity in the 1950s. It was 10:30pm so I just went to bed, sleeping fitfully through the thunderstorms and the power came back on some time during the night.

I was getting cabin fever so as soon as there was a break between showers I walked up to the Internet Cafe to ask about the bus. Of course it was after 1pm so they were closed. I assume these are their winter hours.
I walked down into the village square only to find that the supermarket there is closed from 1pm to 3pm. Well now I know.
The rain had started to get more serious again so I stepped into the Pissouriana, to wait for the next break, and ordered a coffee. This is what I got. I had forgotten that a lot of English people like instant coffee. Oh well, its not as bad as American coffee.

This would be a lovely place to spend some time on a nice sunny day. Beautiful views down the valley to the sea. But today I was able to gauge the rain from the patterns of drops in the pool. It didn't let up so I ordered an omelette. Shortly after a couple came in and sat next to me to watch the test match on TV (cricket, England playing South Africa). Elaine introduced herself, and Peter, and told me that she had lived in Cyprus for 20 years and never had as wet a winter. They were going to escape for a holiday in Thailand. She said she wasn't concerned about the impact of Brexit as she didn't believe the European countries would do anything to make the ex-pats lives difficult because they need them here.

It backed off to a drizzle and I headed home
Another YouTube tutorial. This one on washes.
I tried out some different techniques

on the clouds in my painting
and started filling in some of the greenery. All this rain has made for lots of greenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment