Friday 3 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - getting even greener

Well, as forecast it rained pretty well all day today. Sometimes it was just drizzle and sometimes it was torrential. Sometimes I had a view across to the sea and sometimes it was like a dense cloud of low fog.
So today I will post a tour of the 2nd floor of the house. The entrance, bedrooms and bathroom are on the first floor. I will save those pictures for the next rainy day.

One of the things I look for when I go through the pictures on Home Away (now VRBO) or AirBnB, is comfortable furniture. So often there is not enough seating for 4 people in a 2 bedroom or the seating looks really uncomfortable. I am going in the off season so the owners may think that the renters wont spend much time inside when it's hot out. Annie's House has a comfortable loveseat and sofa. Checked that box.

From the couches I can look out the sliding glass door to the balcony and view beyond.

Before I leave I load up my tablet with books from the library so reading material is not a requirement for a rental but I would rather hold a book in my hands and turn pages, so this bookshelf is a bonus

Behind the living area is the dining area with a window overlooking the back courtyard. There is lots of natural light which is another thing I look for. I also try and get a south facing balcony or terrace as I want lots of sun in the winter months. I think this balcony faces east but it may be southeast, I will know better when I have some sunny days.

The well equipped and efficient kitchen is next to the dining area. Stove, microwave, frig, washing machine, kettle, toaster and plenty of dishes, glasses and cutlery. Some rentals are really stingy with just 4 of everything.

Reminds me of Christine, she also loves her labeling machine.

Coffee making equipment is a deal breaker and there is lots of that here. However I don't really care for french press coffee, which I know some people love (Jason, Simon). To me it tastes as if there is still coffee grounds in the water (may be psychological, may be that I have used the wrong grind in the past). I just don't know how to use those other lovely implements.

When I only had a french press in Mallorca, Eve heard me whine about it and sent me this little Melita funnel so I can have drip coffee. At the supermarket yesterday I found a small thermos so now my second cup is as piping hot as the first one. My morning coffees are just the way I like them.

I went out for a short walk between showers and found the swimming pool. Currently 13 degrees, maybe in March.

At the pool - 4 loungers labeled Annie's. For sunny days.
As well as the picture I posted yesterday of a road damaged by the rain there is another road in the village that has been totally blocked off due to a landslide and you can see damage in the houses around that area.

Over the church doors. Parts of the church have been refaced but it is all a honey coloured stone and has a mirador (that's what it would be called in Spain anyway) around with lovely views.
The church sits up above the village square.
A coloured stone mosaic on the path going in to the village square.

The village also has an amphitheatre and I can imagine watching a performance on a summers evening with the view across the valley, to the sea, as a backdrop. I will come to take pictures on a better day.
European Goldfinch I think. He was all puffed up from the rain and cold and looked very fluffy.
The weather forecast is better for the weekend so I will probably get out and walk some more. I am still trying to find my way around the village. I can get to the square consistently but couldn't find the bus stop or the internet cafe (where there is another bus stop) and I had seen them both on the taxi ride yesterday. The village is all twisty turny roads making their way up and down and around the contours of the hill. No grid pattern here!

No comments:

Post a Comment