Tuesday 14 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyrprus - Meeting People

3 months is a long time to be on my own. Yes, I live alone at home, but I rarely go a day without a phone call or conversation of some kind. Spring, summer and fall I have company at "the cottage". I rug hook with friends. I sail with friends. I visit friends and family or they visit me. But this winter I am away from everyone for 3 months, a quarter of the year. I am staying in touch with email and WhatsApp but it's not the same, so I am doing things a little differently this winter. I am making an effort to meet people.
Mick has been helpful, connecting me with the lady who owns the house next door and sending me links to walking groups and I am pushing myself to talk to strangers and move out of my comfort zone. I am naturally an introvert and that has not been a problem for me over the years. George was outgoing enough for both of us (actually he was outgoing enough for a more than just 2 of us) and I don't mind spending time alone. So walking up to someone and introducing myself is a little strange for me but so far it is working out well.
This morning the woman who owns next door, Nikki, stopped by and we went and had coffee with Kay and Jimmy who live across the street. Sitting in the sun in their garden while hearing about the issues and people of the village from people who have lived here a long time was fascinating and they were very welcoming. Jimmy is a walker and I may be able to go walk with his group at times.  Nikki also invited me out to lunch with some of her other friends and to do a walkathon in Paphos in March.

I also met the cat who I have seen around the neighbourhood, I think her name is "Squish". She was feral, taken in my Nikki and now cared for by Kay.

We spent so long chatting that Nikki didn't have time to trim up the trees at her place so I asked her if I could do it for her.
Well that was fun

They look better from my place too. Now Cameron, who rents the house from her, wont have to dodge the branches when he gets back from his holiday.
I felt rather badly about cutting the pretty purple flowers off but hopefully they will flower again.
While I was out gardening there was another woman trimming trees 2 houses down. I went over and introduced myself (out of my comfort zone now) and it turned out she looked after the place for the owners. She offered me lemons off the tree and then invited me to come with her to the garden of another place she looked after and we picked oranges there. "They will just fall on the ground and then I will have to put them in the bin" was what she said.
I finished off my afternoon of gardening by completing the weeding along the edge of the wall. Next I will clear the other wall and finish pulling the weeds between the flagstones.
Drink of water up on the balcony and I spotted a Kestrel (the same one? Perhaps this neighbourhood is his hunting territory)
Attached to the bulletin board are some pages titles Anne's  Recipes for Cyprus and I decided to try one tonight. I had bought apricots for this purpose but hadn't really paid attention to what else I needed.
So I had nothing to thicken it with and threw in a bunch of vegetables and some black olives (just because I had them) as well as the onion, chicken and apricots.
For spices I used fresh garlic and ginger. The Smoked Paprika was here and I bought the Masala with me (I always take a couple of spice blends, the other is lemon and herb) It was delicious and I have enough for dinner tomorrow night too.
I have been in contact with one of the walking groups that Mick linked me with. I was looking for someone to "car share" with, as the walks can be anywhere on the island, and connected today with someone who lives in Pissouri Bay and is willing to give me a ride. She also mentioned that there is a walking group every Wednesday that meets down near Papantonious so, if it is not raining tomorrow, I will meet them there at 8:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment