Saturday 11 January 2020

Pissouri Beach, Cyprus - down and back

Mick reads my blog and this morning corrected my house water supply assumptions. The tank on the roof is fed by the "mains" and is the hot water supply. In this cupboard, above the kitchen is the cold water supply. It gravity feeds the tap in the kitchen and the washing machine and the bathroom downstairs. So that is what I am currently using.
So bright and clear today that while having my coffee I noticed buildings on top of the mountains. They look like the radar on top of the Tramuntana Mountains in Mallorca so perhaps the military keep an eye on this end of the Mediterranean from Cyprus
I looked it up on Wikipedia:
Troödos Station is the oldest remaining British military base in Cyprus, dating from 1878. Initially it was used as a cool summer field hospital for troops from the Egyptian Campaign. British Army and Government officials also used it as a summer retreat.
RAF Troödos is a remote Signals Station run by 27 personnel from Golf Section, Joint Service Signal Unit (Cyprus), and also contains Mount Olympus Radar Station. Operated by the British military but there was mention that the US uses it too.

I decided to walk down to the beach again today. The forecast looked good (crossed fingers)

All that rain and now sun has resulted in some wild flowers.

They seem to close up when its cloudy.

I have signed up for a 4 hour mosaic course in Paphos this week so am noticing small examples, looking for ideas.
These were mauves and pinks and white, the photo seems to have washed them out.

This time I walked along the beach. As you can see, it wasn't exactly crowded but I did speak to a woman from Germany and a couple from Wales.

I followed the signs for the public toilet and was very surprised to find it open. Glad I always carry toilet paper though.
Aside from the man fishing (previous photo) there was one swimming and one doing yoga, people sitting on deck chairs and lying on beach towels and a family running in and out of the edge of the waves.
Captains Bay restaurant was closed but I wanted to eat somewhere else anyway. Artemis was open and had some sunny tables

Main course tuna salad (I should have ordered the "starter" size) was 7 Euro and a glass of "village wine" (as opposed to "bottle wine") was 2.50 Euro. The bread, butter and olives came gratis. I couldn't finish the salad so for that price I have lunch for tomorrow as well. The service was excellent and the waiter trained as an electrical engineer in England (Liverpool) and worked in the Middle East before returning to help his parents run the restaurant and bring up his young family. Oh yes, it appears that Pissouri Beach does not have the same trouble with water supply as Pissouri Village does.

The walk back up the hill was as tough as I thought it was going to be and I took advantage of the benches along the way (just to get my heart rate back under control)


This one had last years olives scattered on the ground


and birds in the bushes across the road. From the beak I would say it is some kind of finch.


By the time I got to the next bench


I needed a sugar boost.


I had been gone from the house for 4 hours, done nearly 20,000 steps and I collapsed on the bed when I got home. Hopefully it will get easier as I get fitter. 
Tomorrow I think I will take it easy, maybe finish the painting. Oh, by the way, still no water. The comments on Facebook indicate that people are pretty pissed off, though there was also a humorous picture of a guy walking around with his towel looking for puddles to wash in.       

No comments:

Post a Comment