Sunday 12 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - a little gardening

This will be a short and boring blog today as I really took it easy. My first excitement was that the drinking water tap in the kitchen was working. I checked with Mick, and yes, that did mean the mains water source was on. Very excited, I turned on the heater boost and after my coffee went down stairs for a quick shower and to wash my hair (that's what the excitement was about, it was beginning to bug me). Well the shower water lasted about 20 seconds and then quit. Sigh! Plan B was heat a saucepan on the stove and then wash my hair with that. Which I did and saved the water in a bucket to flush the toilet with. Facebook posts seemed to indicate that tankers had put some water in the reservoir but not enough and many parts of the village got none. We are supposed to get an update tomorrow. In the mean time, I feel a lot better with clean hair.
I am in no way experiencing the kind of water shortage that people here, who don't have this spare tank, are and it has really made me think about what people are dealing with in many parts of the world where water is really scarce. We take for granted washing ourselves, washing our clothes, flushing the toilet, cooking and drinking clean water. Not to mention washing cars, patios, watering plants, filling swimming pools, fountains. We are so spoiled.

I had checked with Mick whether I could do a bit of gardening and whether these were considered weeds. He said yes to go ahead and pull them.

So I followed the sun as it moved across the patio, pulling weeds, until it clouded over and looked like rain. I will do the rest another day.

I also pulled a few weeds that were growing up between the flagstones (dandelions will grow anywhere) and trimmed back where the geraniums were getting a bit leggy. It felt really nice to be working with green, living things. I also want to get some potted herbs but haven't found a place to buy them yet.

I finished the painting of Pissouri Beach. Not particularly happy with it. I need to go back to the YouTube videos and start with something a lot easier.

1 comment: