Saturday 18 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - second hand store

Today was my first shift at the Pissouri second hand store. It is a charity thrift store (though it isn't actually a registered charity). It was created to pay for the vet and food bills for a dog rescue sanctuary that was struggling .

I was paired up with Maureen who has lots of experience. Our first job, 9:30am, was to put some goods outside so that it was obvious that we were open. It is open 6 days a week, run entirely by volunteers.
Second job was to hang some clothes up to utilize the display area of the big windows. We chose a pink and grey theme for today (baby, children's and adult wear)
The rest of the day was spent helping Maureen with customers and putting out some of the hundreds of paperback novels that have been donated. There are 4 bookcases of paperbacks already out in the shop and bags more in the back to go out.. I did some sorting, getting the cases back into pseudo alphabetical order by author and then added what I could find room for. Almost all of them are written in English and lots of popular authors (Binchey, Greggory,Patterson, Cussler, Steele) the kind you would read away on holiday.
There is something very attractive about an arched entrance, especially with an orange tree too. I had popped out around lunch time for some snacks from the village square supermarket, when I spotted this.
We bought everything in and closed up at 2:30pm. I was told that one of the perks of being "staff" was that you could borrow books, like it was a library, so I came home with 2 to read and I will take them back on my next shift, next Saturday.

I have been told by a couple of people about the Pissouri Residents Association and on my way home I found it.
They have a variety of activities and, as the village is a long way from a hospital, they have a volunteer EMS team. I assume that you have to be a resident to be enrolled.
My completed mosaic ready to be used as a trivet and to be a souvenir of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment