Monday 13 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - walking trail at the top of the hill

My usual morning ritual, both at home and when traveling, is to drink 2 cups of coffee (at home they are half decaf, I need to find some decaf next time I go to Papa's) and read my emails and the CBC on line. Now I have added in; checking Facebook. Looks like it could be a major time waster but it is also proving to be a good source of information.

So this is where the water lines have been damaged and it doesn't sound like it's going to be an easy (or fast) fix. Later, at the Internet Cafe, I was told that the pipes and pumping station are located along the river bed below the dam and that the sheer force of the water in the river damaged the pipes. Last year the pumping station flooded.

More water troubles. Chris, Jason, Kristen and Noah were at my place on the weekend and attested to the howling wind (110km/hr was forecast) and driving waves. Facebook was full of pictures of the flooding caused by the high rainfall and storm surge on the Bay side of the Point.
Enough of all that, grey clouds and drizzle cleared away and I got out into the sunshine.

Unusual yellow and pink Hibiscus.
As I was walking up the road beside the house this bird flew out of a garden, landed on the top of a hydro pole and started devouring what it had just caught.It didn't take him long, it may just have been a lizard.
Then started looking for the next meal. The common kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) is a bird of prey species belonging to the kestrel group of the falcon family Falconidae. It is also known as the European kestrelEurasian kestrel, or Old World kestrel. From Biodiversitycyprus.
My first stop was to the bank ATM in the village square where I was happy to find that it accepted my bank card and handed over some cash. I pay with a credit card as often as I can but things like the bus and the mosaic course on Thursday need cash.

Older house, looks like a bit of a "fixer upper". I was continuing up the hill to explore some more of the newer developments up there.
Most of the houses, in the old part of the village, front right onto the street. This one has an extensive container garden on the "stoop".
A "reno" in progress.
Further out of the village there is a bit more room for courtyards and plantings.

Trees and vines provide the shade needed in the summer heat.

He made me jump when he suddenly appeared over the terrace wall to woof at me.
Well that would be a nice simple mosaic to do; the Greek Flag.
More heavy rain damage.
Once finally up at the top
I could see across the valley, behind the village, to the wind farm
and where the valley goes down to the sea. The bus from Paphos came back that way.
I walked past the modern school, surrounded by playing fields,

and the sports field, complete with flood lights.

This must mean "Beware of the Dog"
With a picture like that there is really no need for words at all.
Past some fields and pine trees and I was
in the Pine Bay development of large villas, many with pools, along a landscaped ravine.

At the bottom was the start of a 4.5km trail that would lead down to the water. Only trouble was there would then be a 4.5km hike back up!

I walked along the dirt track a little way. This is looking back at the development.
There were wildflowers
among the stones of a ruined building and views of the sea, but my Fitbit had already buzzed that I had done 10,000 steps and I still had to walk home.
A cactus container garden.
There seem to be no rules regarding where you can park your car and so cars, and the bus, have to dance along the street, taking turns and sometimes inching by. In between the obstacles they drive very fast. I am just gearing myself up to the day I rent a car. There are places I want to see that I can't get to by bus.

Home and it's 3pm and I'm eating lunch. I ate a granola bar on the trail. Jacobs crackers, Swiss cheese, tomato, olives (in garlic, lemon and herbs) and Sainsbury sweet pickle (like Branston pickle but not as chunky) followed by apple slices. And a glass of water (I keep forgetting to take my water bottle with me).

No comments:

Post a Comment