Wednesday 15 January 2020

Pissouri, Cyprus - the best laid plans

I was corrected: the name of yesterdays black cat is "Squeak" not "Squish".
I set my alarm on my phone last night, or I thought I did. It didn't go off and so I didn't wake naturally until 8:30 which was when I was supposed to be at the meeting place for the walk. I sent off an email apology and decided to walk to Papantoniou's instead.

Walking down the hill I saw a tanker filling one of the reservoirs. They are doing this constantly, filling the different ones and opening the pipes to send water to the different developments on a rotating basis. I actually had water all day today so not only could I fill my drinking water bottle but I also indulged in a shallow bath and then filled the bucket from the bathtub to use to flush the toilet later (when I am again drawing from the spare tank) 
Mick had recommended I check out the Cava (liquor store) that is near the supermarket. He said they could have good prices. Who knew that that Johnnie Walker had put out Game of Thrones bottles !!
The red wine selection included some from South Africa and South America as well as the European ones. So if I feel the need for a Malbec or a Rioja I know where to get one.
At Papa's the wine I like was .01 cent cheaper than the Cava. Sneaky but I bought it there. I also bought more than I should have considering I was carrying it home, uphill. I had the heavy stuff in my backpack, more in a bag and 2 pieces of Baclava that had to be held flat in one hand.

On this walk I noticed a couple of roadside shrines. On the internet it says they are put there by families that have lost a loved one in a car accident. Both the ones I noticed today had candles burning in them in front of paintings of Christ. Way more extensive than the roadside crosses, wreaths and flowers that serve the same purpose at home.
Tribute bands are coming to a taverna in Pissouri Square. Big poster on the way up the hill.
After I got back and chugged a glass of water, I put away the groceries and had my usual lunch followed by a piece of Baclava. I can't believe I have been here 2 weeks and it is the first I have had. It is to Cyprus what Pasteis de Natal is to Portugal.
I spent the rest of the afternoon immersed in a book on my tablet; The Golden Step by Christopher Somerville. It is the story of his experience walking the E4 trail from one end of Crete to the other. It appeals on a number of levels: George and I spent a week of our honeymoon at the town he starts from, Sitia, at the East end and we loved Crete and experienced the kindness of the mountain villages when we ran out of gas in our rented scooter. I have read a couple of books about the Camino de Santiago in Spain. It resonates with Nicola and my walking of the Bruce Trail (which we now think will take the rest of our lives, not the 2 years that Nic originally planned). It is well written and due back to the library in 2 days. I am going back to it now.
I will set the alarms on both my phones for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment